Lyman press Stand

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Lyman press Stand

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I was searching google for a bench top stand with the idea of mounting the Lee APP press I am receiving to morrow so I don't have to drill and mount it on a bench.
I have a Lyman O frame press it was the third press I ever bought and it still gets used on a regular basis. I discovered that Lyman do a Press Stand that sits on any flat surface and raises the height of the Lyman press by about 8 inches. I didn't even know they sold this product till I did a google search. Apparently it will accept any make of press including Lee. I like the idea of fitting my Lyman press to it and if it also works with the APP then I am a happy bunny. So I have bought one.
Does any one own or have any experience with the Press stand. Whats your opinion of it.
flamoudi
Home club or Range: CVPC Ashgill Scotland

Re: Lyman press Stand

#2 Post by flamoudi »

There are reviews on YouTube. Very positive too.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#3 Post by phaedra1106 »

Basically the same as the ones made by Inline Fabrication,

https://inlinefabrication.com/collectio ... ing-system

I use the Lee bench mounting plate system, mine is also connected to an Inline Fabrication base plate for using my Rockchucker with their auto case ejector.

Press-1.jpg
Press-2.jpg
Press-3.jpg
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#4 Post by phaedra1106 »

Presses stored above the bench.
Press-0.jpg
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#5 Post by phaedra1106 »

Forgot to say, bench plate is secured to the bench using 6mm bolts.

These go into M6 x 25mm Type D Flanged Timber Insert Nuts screwed and epoxied into the underside of the bench.
Press-Nut.jpg
Plate can be fitted or removed in a few seconds and leaves 4 clean 6mm holes in the bench top.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I bought the Lyman to sit on the bench top so I dont have to drill any more holes in the bench and it raises the height of the press by about 8 inches. I intend to clamp it to my desk when in use and store it away when not in use.
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

The Lyman has not turned up but its the weekend so no big deal. I also ordered several of the Lee options the type phaedra1106 is using to secure his presses to his bench. They are nothing special I have a guy who does laser cutting and high pressure water cutting he supplies me with gaskets and all sorts of weird and clever stuff. If I need a modified one I am sure he will be able to sort it out. He would definitely be able to copy the Lyman offering.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

It arrived I put it together and fitted a Lee APP press to it I added the four tube case feeder and the red thing that goes on the top to automatically fill the tubes. I have been using the set up for probably just over a week to resize 38 and 357 cases.
The Lyman stand is awesome I am definitely going to buy another one. The Lee APP is not so awesome its fiddly to set up and the four tube feeder thing could be better. But to be fair once I got it set up I was able to resize 50 38 cases in less than 5 minutes. I have probably resized 200 cases this week with out any issues. I am fairly sure I could re size de prime (add powder off the the press) then seat the bullets on the press. But we will see.
I am currently waiting on shell holders for rifle calibers once I get them I will have a look using the APP to full length size 7.62x39 and .222 and may be .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor but I think that may be a challenge.
They were asking for £35 for the four tube case + bullet feeder I bought the tubes and the red thing that goes on the top to feed the tubes then I modified a piece of kit to accept the tubes on the press I think the whole thing cost me £20.
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#9 Post by phaedra1106 »

Not sure it's up to FLS bottleneck rifle cases, not from what I've read about it.

I use the RCBS Rockchucker with the Inline Fabrication case ejector fitted (as shown in the photo's above), I can rattle through cases a a fair old rate, you just need a decent lube.

The DIY lube is OK but nowhere near as good as the RCBS Case Slick Spray, it's expensive ($9 - 4oz bottle) and only avaiable in the USA but it's the best lube I've used by a long way.

The Fankford Arsenal spray is also good, about the same price but you get 8oz. I'm picking up a few bottles of each when we're over in May.

I tend to mix the DIY lube about 88% Isopropanol and 12% liquid lanolin, use the good liquid stuff from Amazon not the cheap ahhydrous stuff.

Put both bottles in warm/hot water for 10-15mins to raise their temperatures before mixing it does a better job.

I get mine shipped from Piping Rock in the USA, last 2 bottles were £7 each, no import duty etc. as it's below the threhhold.

https://gb.pipingrock.com/v2/lanolin/li ... ttle-39700
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Up date the Lee APP press will resize bottle neck cases It will resize .308 cases.