Scope for Smallbore BenchRest

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Scope for Smallbore BenchRest

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi All
After being a prone shooter for most of my shooting life, I have recently taken up bench rest shooting. I bought a rifle which came with a Nikko Sterling Platinum mounted on it and it has done fine to get me started but I do find some issues with it, especially with the clarity of the reticle which is not great.

Could anyone recommend a replacement with a budget of £100-200. Almost exclusively shooting 25 yards indoors, although the possibility of shooting up to 100 yards outdoors at times. I currently shoot with the zoom maxed out on 9x and feel I could use a little more, especially if I do shoot at 100 yards. Hawke have been recommended to me but open to suggestions of anything.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Scope for Smallbore BenchRest

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

FOX FIREARMS sell budget scopes that are suitable.
Christel
Site Admin

#3 Post by Christel »

I would find an old Simmons Whitetail.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

My club has has quite a take up of Rimfire Benchrest and as such we invested in a couple of purpose built BR rifles and repurposed some old Anchutz target rifles. Because of the initial outlay the committee was cheap scopes putting on the rifles. We’ve had a fair few over the last year and frankly, they were crap. The best we found was Sightron. Still cheap as far as optics are concerned, but at 400 quid, over what you want to spend.

I only mention it to let you know we tried it, but you are seriously disadvantaged if you make the wrong glass choice with rimfire BR.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/sight ... ifle-scope
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!