An interesting morning on the range

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

An interesting morning on the range

#1 Post by dodgyrog »

Out and about at Ponteland Range near Newcastle today.
We arrived as storm Franklin hit!
40mph plus winds gusting, I'm guessing, at over 50mph. Horizontzl rain coming in from the west.
I landed up in the Butts thankfully , out of the worst of it.
1/2 dozen targets up and waving in the wind and shooting commenced.
By the third 1/2 hour session we were down to two targets and I got relieved from Butts duty.
Being a little long in the tooth I went home.
Ihope all of you that were out today had a pleasant shoot!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
PeterN

Re: An interesting morning on the range

#2 Post by PeterN »

Our shoot today was cancelled as was last Sunday's shoot due to inclement weather. I am a fair weather shooter and will not get down to shoot in the rain. I have been rained on in mid shoot and it is not enjoyable. I don't like my guns or me getting wet.
Regards
Peter.

#3 Post by 1066 »

I had an interesting day at Bisley on Saturday - A bright sunny morning when I left home for a 90 mile drive, so looking forward to a 600yards session then 100yds in the afternoon. When I got there there's a note on the NRA office door saying all ranges cancelled. However, thinking the trip might not be entirely wasted I called in at Lord Roberts centre, planning to pick up some Lapua Centre-x and Midas + .22 ammunition that I have been trying to source for around 6 months. Yes, you guessed all shut up too.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Fortunately I was only shooting on Saturday this weekend so enjoyed the sunshine and relatively mild weather in Houghton :D Quite handy really because trying to get mesh PSG barriers to stay up in strong winds is GREAT fun(!)
DVC
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

We were walking back from the boat when it hit. Huge flash, then a bang followed by horizontal hail and wind I could not walk in for about 90 seconds. Even with good waterproofs I was wet.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#6 Post by shoppe »

A couple of years ago I was on butts duty when the wind was getting pretty strong . We were just about to call a halt to shooting when one of the target frames snapped but it instead of being blown away ( or out of the butts) the top half of the frame came into the butts narrowly missing me. It was the side upright legs that failed. The broken wood had splintered into a VERY sharp spear like end. If it had hit somebody it would have been very very nasty at best. The wood was in excellant condition but with the target up it was acting like a sail and the side legs snapped. The wee moral of this story is to reveiw on the day so to how strong the wind is and is it safe to be in the butts should the frame fail and fall into the butts
stottycake
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Tcsc,.gardners guns,

#7 Post by stottycake »

I was at ponteland on Sunday morning also,and as Roger says the weather was atrocious ,
I could have handled the wind but when it started to lash down that was it for me,