Lee APP thingy

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Lee APP thingy

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Its no secret I am not a fan of Lee stuff. I noticed a Youtuber was using a APP press to resize cast bullets using NOE sizers. I am a big fan of NOE bullet moulds etc so it caught my attention. Does any one use one of the APP presses for sizing cast bullets. It looks like it resizes large volumes of them very quickly. I assume it does not lube them and you would need to do that as a separate operation. Does it seat gas checks.
Has anyone played with one of these. If so what are you using it for and what is your opinion of the press.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Lee APP thingy

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

yes it seats gas checks
from lee - To crimp gas checks onto your bullets on the APP Press using the Lee Breech Lock Bullet Sizing Kit and appropriate Lee Sizer & Punch Kit, first lubricate the bullets with Liquid Alox. Before the bullets move from the feed tube to the Sizing Die and Punch, push a gas check on the base of the bullet. When the bullet is dropped into and pushed through the Sizing Die, the bullet will be sized and the gas check will be crimped on.

I bought the ACP version of the press as priming was of more interest to me. I also bought the deprime arm. I'm happy case resizing on existing presses. It says you can use the bullet sizers on any breechlock equiped press, so I assume you can use an ACP too. I love mine. makes priming so simple, and unlike the APP, I don't need to buy more shell holders.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I had a look at the ACP version on You tube at first I thought it was an expensive way to seat primers but on reflection the RCBS units I use are not cheap either. It just looks fiddly to me but they seem to work.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

I am bored I need some thing to play with. Since giving up on committee membership and cutting back on being involved with running training and range nights etc. I have lots more free time I am getting back into shooting and I am shooting lots of 38 special in my underlevers and even entering comps. I have a bucket load of Dodgy Rog,s cast bullets that I am rapidly using up with good results. I might have to order some more or I might even fire up my lead smelters and finally use up the buckets of wheel weights hiding in my shed. My local range has started to collect range scrap and casting it into ingots with a view to selling it to raise funds for the Club. No body is interested in buying it so I grab as much as I can. Last time I told them I would take it all they looked at me as if I was from another planet.
Any way to get to the point I have been watching lots of you tube videos on Guys using the Lee APP press to resize and de prime 38 special so I thought what the heck and ordered the full system. For what it cost me if it doesn't work out its no big deal.
When it arrives and I get it set up I will let you know how I get on.
Talking about Dodgy Rog reminds me I have had a go with my Ruger precision Gen2 using cast bullets with fast pistol powders at 25 yards indoors and the results were good.
I would like have a go with the same bullet at 100 yards may be I need to drop him a line.
I would also like to have a play with the Steyr in .308 with a heavy cast bullet. If any one has any suggestions on a suitable cast bullet shout out.
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

So no body shooting cast bullets in .308.
No body shooting 6.5 with cast bullets.
Hmm I guess I will just have to look at what moulds I all ready have and probably check out the NOE web site and just do my own thing.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Electronic powder trucklers.

#6 Post by dromia »

NOE 268-134-FN-AL4

NOE 311-206-RN-K2 (bore rider)

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1

Re: Electronic powder trucklers.

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

dromia wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:07 am NOE 268-134-FN-AL4

NOE 311-206-RN-K2 (bore rider)
Cheers Adam I will check them out.
Alpha1

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

I had some spare time this evening so I had a look at the APP thingy lots of bags with lots of bits of plastic. Hmm but we will see I will attempt to set it up at the week end. Busy with work stuff at the moment.
The Lyman press riser is going to be delivered to morrow.
andrew375

#9 Post by andrew375 »

I shoot lots of cast in. 308. For 30+ years in fact. Still using the bullet I started out with, the Lee 200gr. Depending on powder I get sub-moa accuracy at between 1900 and 2200 fps. I've shot these out to 500 yards with good results. At 100 yards with my AI Cooper match target rifle I am shooting groups not much different than with my Anschutz super match and SK rifle match ammo.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

The Lyman press riser arrived. First impressions are good. Its certainly a robust piece of Kit. It comes with two top plates that will accommodate just about every make of press. I have checked the Lee bench mounting plate and it can be easily converted to fit the Lyman press riser which gives me the option of switching between my Lyman press and the APP in a matter of minutes and it sits on my desk raising the press by 9 inches. The whole thing even with a press mounted can be stored in a cupboard or just about any ware on a flat surface. At first I thought it was an expensive piece of kit but having seen it in the flesh up to now I am happy with my purchase I can see endless possibilities for modifications etc.
I am looking forward to having a play at the week end.