New LBP Options

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

BLZeebub

New LBP Options

#1 Post by BLZeebub »

Afternoon All,

I picked up a GSG Firefly a while back which i do enjoy but was looking for something a little less agricultural and potentially for a bit of competition shooting.

As far as i can see it's between the K22, Gold Cup and PPQ. I was edging towards a K22 but wasn't sure about spares - any advice?

Cheers
Nathan
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: New LBP Options

#2 Post by TattooedGun »

What kind of competition shooting are you considering? The pistols mentioned will not win any out an out accuracy competitions, for the static accuracy competition I'd be considering a buckmark or volquartsen - something with a long sight radius and proven accuracy.

If Practical, what division are you looking to compete in?

Standard (Iron Sights, 15 round mag cap)
Open (Optic / Red dot, unlimited mag count)

I have a K22 which is and was the go-to on the competition circuit the last few years and highly regarded by the competitors, few use something else - for example Ivor Johnson 1911, but theres been very little up at the top for the few years I've been competing.

There are now however the Shield(KMR) S-01 pistols hitting the circuit (I've just bought one) and they are very nice, they feel much more like a full-bore handgun than the K22, and the accuracy is very good - the limitation at the moment is the 10 round magazines, but we're told the extensions will be here end of Jan...!

Cotswold Classic arms are bringing a CZ based pistol called the Antreg Zenith also, but these are not yet in the country.

A lot of the top competitors on the Open Division LBP Circuit are moving to one of these 2, from K22...

This does mean there should be some K22 available that have already been sorted and tricked out, but then you could also go for the latest and greatest.

Unfortunately with UK laws being written by eejits, it's not like you can try them out. Buy what you like and see if you get on with it, buy second hand (if possible) and you can always sell it on and swap in the future without too much cost (except when changing platform and your belt/rig needs to follow!).

Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

WHHOOOOAAAAA!!!!! Just hold your bloody horses there, Ste!!!! You’ve just bought a KMR?

Rule #1, photos. Or it’s not real.

Secondly, what’s it like? Seriously, I need to know! I’ve had a variation for a .22 LBP for some time now, but wasn’t going to pay a grand for what is a 400 Euro rimfire with a 12 barrel and a coat hanger! But something akin to a quality item, different story…
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

Oops, I guess I forgot to mention it around these parts!

I picked it up at the target shooting show (had the slot on ticket since it was announced and saved the cash - however with an addition to the family this year it did not go down well with the Mrs! haha!)

As above is the video of drawing and firing 10 shots, it functions, thus far (touches wood) flawlessly. Been feeding it a diet of Eley Force (My go to for anything semi auto) - but shot a competition at WNSC this weekend feeding it Eley Action (lower recoil, although I'm unconvinced on the benefit of lower power projectiles just yet, further testing required).

Whats in the box:

3 mags, some oil, a cleaning rod and I paid for the Shield SMSc sight.

First time at the range:

First 10 shots down the barrel @ 20m (1" Sticker) - without zeroing, just putting the dot on.

Stripped for First Clean after the competition this weekend

It feels, like a proper pistol. Made by KMR Precision Arms - almost all the slide reciprocates, theres a forward part that's held on by a pin, presumably being a proper weight pistol the original slide would be too heavy to be reliable. and it's been developed by KMR and Shield for the UK market with the input from top LBP competitors, so there's no guff, it seems to be all function.

I'm hoping when the new extended bases come I'll be able to put it through its paces a bit more. probably run about 500 rounds through so far, but no dramas and everything is still tight and precise.

Let me know if you have any other questions Sim. :good:
andrew375

#5 Post by andrew375 »

What is it like for left-handed shooting?
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
JammyGuns

#6 Post by JammyGuns »

Wow, that ^ does look nice. Would really like one but the price is out of my league (though as I said, it does look quality) and that accuracy is nothing to complain about either! Did handle one at the target shooting show end of last yr and was impressed from that brief encounter.

For the OP; no idea whether this is an issue with other K22s or just something specific to mine, but I had real trouble running CCI Minimag (mostly failure to feed). Switched to the slower SKS and it seems to have done the trick (good the last 100 rds), though more testing needed. It was literally jamming up every mag before though... Truthfully I way overpaid for mine but they are a significant step up from the gsg offerings at least in quality. Haven't owned a PPQ but did have the Gold Cup - again better overall than the gsg imo but the trigger was pretty ghastly.
BLZeebub

#7 Post by BLZeebub »

Thanks for the info.

Probably Practical Open as my eyesight struggles with iron sights.

I did hold an S-01 at the Target Shooting Show - very nice indeed but i believe the best part of almost £2K? so a fair chunk more than the K22.

I hadn't seen anything on the CZ so i'll do some digging.

I doubt i'll require the real top end kit but it would be nice to use something on the decent end of the scale.

Cheers
Nat
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

In fairness a fully tricked out GSG1911 with red dot will run you not far from one of those KMRs, a race ready K22 will deffo be over, its just the difference between paying for it bit by bit and forking it all out in one go
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

Now I like that!!! “Back in the day” I had an original CZ75 that I reckoned had had 100K rounds through it!

Is the slide steel and frame alloy?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#10 Post by TattooedGun »

Sim G wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:31 am Now I like that!!! “Back in the day” I had an original CZ75 that I reckoned had had 100K rounds through it!

Is the slide steel and frame alloy?
Yes, I do believe so.

Theres no plastic (polymer) on it as far as I can tell. It's as per the real shadow 2, apart from the shorter barrel with the collet at the end of the slide.

edit: tell a lie, the guide rod and guide rod retention are plastic.. lol