Alloy / Steel receivers

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Be Wery Wery Quiet

Alloy / Steel receivers

#1 Post by Be Wery Wery Quiet »

Is this purely down to weight loss or would one wane over the other in time? I’m thinking in this instance alloy would be more prone to wear. (I have no idea how much weight differential there may be between the two.)

If people get the choice - what would the option be?

Thanks.
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

Re: Alloy / Steel receivers

#2 Post by glevum »

The Gun Pimp

#3 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Competition guns are often built to a strict weight limit. An alloy action could save you a pound over a steel one - which you could better put into the barrel profile.

The alloy Stolle receiver has a stainless steel threaded insert for the barrel tenon and a stainless steel 'plug' on the rear where the bolt cams.

The Stolle also has the advantage of a very large flat bedding area - which helps supporting a heavy barrel.

The original Unique Alpine rifles also had an alloy receiver plus of course the AR15 clones, Ruger 10/22 and probably a few others.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

I have an aluminium action 20 bore Yildiz. It has steel/stainless steel inserts in the major wear locations so I don't have any real concerns over premature wear. Its a lovely little gun and nice to have a lighter gun slung over my shoulder when I don't fancy lugging around my 12 bore.
Be Wery Wery Quiet

#5 Post by Be Wery Wery Quiet »

Thanks all.

@Glevum - I tried the search function but clearly need more practice. Thanks for the steer.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#6 Post by Gh0st »

is this related to any specific type of firearms? or just general?
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

#7 Post by North Star »

If you have deep pockets, you could opt for a PGW titanium action! But again, solely for the reason that the Gun Pimp mentioned!
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.