CIP verses SAMMI

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: CIP verses SAMMI

#11 Post by bradaz11 »

If you've done it yourself, why would you need to send it for proof unless you want to sell it?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

I have no intention of ever selling it. Its a keeper its a fun gun. I might will it to some one but no I will never sell it. That and the MAS36 plus my No 4 are favourites they have given great pleasure over the years they wont be going any were. Now my Ruger precision 6.5 Creedmoor is a different story I am debating wether to move it on. Not really my cup of tea.
The Gun Pimp

#13 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Yes.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#14 Post by Pete »

Have you tried: https://www.bbt.scot/products.htm ?
It's Geoffrey Kolbes' current venture, and the reamers are highly regarded.......

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Christel
Site Admin

#15 Post by Christel »

If you want a gun to pass proof...you will use Triebel gauges, CIP.

Any complaints to the proof house will be ignored if the above has not been used.
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

Pete wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:01 pm Have you tried: https://www.bbt.scot/products.htm ?
It's Geoffrey Kolbes' current venture, and the reamers are highly regarded.......

Pete
He only sells to the trade or registered firearms dealers.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#17 Post by Mattnall »

Christel wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:38 pm If you want a gun to pass proof...you will use Triebel gauges, CIP.
Which Proof House?

London told me a couple of months ago that they are changing many of their gauges from Triebel to British made ones.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

Last year (2021) both Birmingham and London told me this after a 1903A1 30-06 failed. The rifle went to Birmingham passed with my brand new CIP gauges and failed. I ordered in new CIP gauges and it passed GO and NO-GO, so I sent it to London (Well I had to check!) and it failed again. I was told they use Triebel and could not really do anything more as I was using something else.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

So whats so special about Triebel gauges I know they are expensive I have there catalogues. I know there reamers are expensive and out of my price range even if they would sell them to me. I know there re loading dies are mouth wateringly expensive.
I don't get this proof house thing. So you are in the trade you buy a reamer or reamers from a reputable source as well as the gauges. You cut the chamber using the gauges then you submit the rifle for proof and they fail it. Bu--s*** they should be using the gauges you used to chamber the rifle barrel. For them to pull a set of gauges of there shelf and tell you its failed is bo--ocks. Obviously its a monopoly no way would you get a way with that in the real World of Engineering.
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

So whats so special about Triebel gauges I know they are expensive I have there catalogues. I know there reamers are expensive and out of my price range even if they would sell them to me. I know there re loading dies are mouth wateringly expensive.
I don't get this proof house thing. So you are in the trade you buy a reamer or reamers from a reputable source as well as the gauges. You cut the chamber using the gauges then you submit the rifle for proof and they fail it. Bu--s*** they should be using the gauges you used to chamber the rifle barrel. For them to pull a set of gauges of there shelf and tell you its failed is bo--ocks. Obviously its a monopoly no way would you get a way with that in the real World of Engineering.