Smoothbore Musket and S1

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Swallowtail
Home club or Range: North Cotes

Smoothbore Musket and S1

#1 Post by Swallowtail »

I was considering buying a smoothbore percussion musket .58cal for use with ball. I've since been advised that using ball would have to go on my FAC, where if I stick with shot then SGL is fine?
Rarms
Past Supporter

Re: Smoothbore Musket and S1

#2 Post by Rarms »

Yes, shotgun (Sec 2.) only allows for smooth bores to fire a minimum of about 9 projectiles in one shot, with no more than a max diameter of 9mm or there about, aligns with an SSG loading.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

"SGL" ???

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
AL8

#4 Post by AL8 »

Shot Gun Licence?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

No such thing.

It is a certificate not a license,same as the firearms certificate.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Sim G »

There was something somewhere about this several years ago. The MLAGBNI published something from the home office, I’m sure.

It was along the lines that a smooth bore musket is s2. Separate Ball, wad, powder and cap is not ammunition. Even when “assembled” in the musket it is still not ammunition because the cap remains separate to the “cartridge”.

Again, for what I remember, the Home Office were not that bothered about it and it was an anomaly the could not be easily rectified.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#7 Post by redcat »

Smoothbore muskets are Section 2.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#8 Post by channel12 »

Sim G wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:37 pm There was something somewhere about this several years ago. The MLAGBNI published something from the home office, I’m sure.

It was along the lines that a smooth bore musket is s2. Separate Ball, wad, powder and cap is not ammunition. Even when “assembled” in the musket it is still not ammunition because the cap remains separate to the “cartridge”.

Again, for what I remember, the Home Office were not that bothered about it and it was an anomaly the could not be easily rectified.
I had a similar discussion with one our RO's (ex police) who was saying that a club member shooting single ball from a smooth bore was illegal because it was Section ! ammunition. He couldn't or wouldn't grasp that a loose ball and powder are not Section 1 ammunition.
Graham M

#9 Post by Graham M »

I was also under the impression that shooting a single ball from a sec 2 musket transformed it into a sec 1.
Isn't here something about not shooting less than 9 balls/pellets out of a shotgun???
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#10 Post by 450 Martini »

Smoothbore muskets firing ball on ranges are section 2. The MLAGB who hold competitions for section 2 held muskets will tell you this, the Home office will also tell you this.
The nine pellets rule refers only to ammunition.
There are a fair few inexpensive smoothbore .577 muskets around which were built for the re-enactment market.