New to shooting - any guidance about cleaning .22 LR?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

etonwick
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

New to shooting - any guidance about cleaning .22 LR?

#1 Post by etonwick »

Hi Guys,

I'm completely new to rifle shooting so please excuse if this sounds naive. Does anyone have any advice about rifle cleaning .22 LR? I've used shotguns for years and the general practice I've always adopted is to clean thoroughly after every session, including scrubbing the barrel with a phosphor-bronze brush. Aim has always been to leave the bore completely bright and clean. Is the same true for a bolt action .22?
Cheers

etonwick

"A buck in books saves a grand in stupid!" - Mark Novak, Gunsmith.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: New to shooting - any guidance about cleaning .22 LR?

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

To be honest if my .22's get cleaned once a year that's a lot. Accuracy doesn't drop off (for me at least)
You might want to clean a new rifle a few times to get the barrel up to spec
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#3 Post by mag41uk »

I cant remember when I last "cleaned" the barrels on my 22`s. The last thing I would put down them is a phosphor brush. You shouldnt be getting any fouling in a 22 barrel.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#4 Post by strangesam »

I clean the chamber of my semi-auto .22s, (and bolt face, receiver etc) fairly regularly (~500 rounds), but the most the barrel gets is an oiled pull through once in a blue moon.

The bolt action .22s don't even get that really, unless the fouling gets very bad (1000s of rounds)

I do oil the outside of certain guns, as otherwise my fingerprints go rusty.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

I can not remember the last time I cleaned any of my .22 rifles.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

IMG_20210929_162656.jpg
When the build-up is thick enough it was starting to squeeze the barrel down is about when I start to clean
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
walesdave

#7 Post by walesdave »

.22 Bore snake through the barrel; quick squirt of gun scrubber in the action = it's clean
If you really, really have to...maybe a tooth brush over the bolt face to get any crap from under the extractor.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

You know its time to clean a .22 when it stops working. However do not clean the barrel, especially back to bare metal. A light pull through perhaps to remove powder and primer residue if it is being stored in very damp conditions otherwise leave well alone.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by 1066 »

Ok - I'll admit it, I'm a .22lr barrel cleaner.. There, I've said and feel better for it.

I've been shooting for some time now and for around 50 years subscribed to the "once a year maybe" club, this includes a good few years prone match shooting - However, having been doing a bit of .22 benchrest shooting over the last couple of years I've proved to myself that cleaning .22 barrels is important for the very best accuracy - How often will obviously depend on your rifle, ammunition and the standard you are looking for.

I have an old Anschutz Match 54 I'm using for .22 BR, it shoots fairly well, but to win anything it needs to shoot well consistently, a simple 100/100 is not good enough, you need 100/100 with a high "X" count.
I have found that, after a good barrel clean it takes around 8-10 shots to start performing well - it continues to produce good accuracy for around the next 60-80 (Tenex) shots then starts to tail off a little - still accurate but not pinpoint. I really wish I had known this 40 years ago when shooting prone.

My Voere .22 semi-auto I've had for many years (40+) seems bullet proof - it's reliable and "accurate" and I can't recall ever cleaning the barrel.
I shot this card yesterday with the M54, first try with Center-X ammunition (courtesy of Ovenpaa) It took a dozen shots to settle down before I shot the card - How long it remains shooting well remains to be seen.
100/6X
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#10 Post by TattooedGun »

1066 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:20 am Ok - I'll admit it, I'm a .22lr barrel cleaner.. There, I've said and feel better for it.

I've been shooting for some time now and for around 50 years subscribed to the "once a year maybe" club, this includes a good few years prone match shooting - However, having been doing a bit of .22 benchrest shooting over the last couple of years I've proved to myself that cleaning .22 barrels is important for the very best accuracy - How often will obviously depend on your rifle, ammunition and the standard you are looking for.

I have an old Anschutz Match 54 I'm using for .22 BR, it shoots fairly well, but to win anything it needs to shoot well consistently, a simple 100/100 is not good enough, you need 100/100 with a high "X" count.
I have found that, after a good barrel clean it takes around 8-10 shots to start performing well - it continues to produce good accuracy for around the next 60-80 (Tenex) shots then starts to tail off a little - still accurate but not pinpoint. I really wish I had known this 40 years ago when shooting prone.

My Voere .22 semi-auto I've had for many years (40+) seems bullet proof - it's reliable and "accurate" and I can't recall ever cleaning the barrel.
I shot this card yesterday with the M54, first try with Center-X ammunition (courtesy of Ovenpaa) It took a dozen shots to settle down before I shot the card - How long it remains shooting well remains to be seen.
100/6X
I'm with this guy!

A clean rifle is a consistent rifle. There's nothing more off-putting than trying to shoot accurately and have a click rather than a bang. why would you not clean your rifle to maintain its best performance every-time you shoot.

Same for semi auto. Full strip of the bolt and clean all the crap off and light oiling to make sure its running at its optimum every time its out.

I am a competitive shooter, I don't see how anyone who wants high scores wouldn't look after their kit, whatever the discipline.