Safety glasses for glasses wearer

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

BrettR
Home club or Range: Cheshunt RPC

Safety glasses for glasses wearer

#1 Post by BrettR »

Hi

As per the title, i wear glasses and am looking for recommendation for safety glasses that can be worn over rimless glasses.

Thanks
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Safety glasses for glasses wearer

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

non that won't make you look daft, go get prescription saftey glasses made up.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#3 Post by shoppe »

Screwfix do prescription safety specs up to about +3 at least. I used them at work over my contact lenses when doing close up stuff instead of reading specs.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#4 Post by strangesam »

I wouldn't recommend overglasses beyond working out if you actually enjoy shooting, three issues, the protection isn't as good, the optical clarity isn't as good, and they cause more problems with wearing over ear hearing protection (two arms to prevent a good seal, rather than one, on that note I recommend Peltors with the HY80 gel seal kit, much better with glasses than the foam for both comfort and hearing protection).

You want EN166 B rated lenses at least, A is better but much harder to get. Do not get EN166 F rated.

I got them via safetyspecs.co.uk as my optician didn't offer suitable glasses for shooting, yours may (you generally have to ask as they don't normally put safety specs on display).

I simply needed my prescription from my optician (again, ask and they are supposed to give it to you after your test, but they generally don't unless you specifically ask for it).

If your prescription is greater than + - 4, you will have less choice of frames.

I strongly recommend paying the extra for fog free and anti reflective lens coatings.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#5 Post by strangesam »

strangesam wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:33 am
You want EN166 B rated lenses at least, A is better but much harder to get. Do not get EN166 F rated.
Edit, I got my standards muddled.

Ideally Get EN166B, (6mm 0.86g BB at 120m/s, 6.192Joules), strictly speaking this standard is for goggles only, however some'goggles look like glasses, I have a Bolle Pair.

EN166F (6mm 0.86g BB at 45m/s, 0.871 Joules), is the highest standard for glasses

EN166S (6mm 0.86g BB at 12m/s, 0.062 Joules), is not really sufficient for ricochets.

So EN166B is ideal, EN166F is ok, dont buy EN166S. This should be engraved on the lense btw.

For reference a 40gn .22lr ricochet, only needs to be travelling at around 20% of its original velocity (230ft/s 69m/s) to exceed 6.2 joules.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

I got mine from specsavers to my prescription. I wear them all the time for work and shooting.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#7 Post by Dark Skies »

Alpha1 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:07 pm I got mine from specsavers to my prescription. I wear them all the time for work and shooting.
Reasonable price?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
BrettR
Home club or Range: Cheshunt RPC

#8 Post by BrettR »

Wow, thank you for the advice. Will check with my optician
Thank you
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

They were very reasonably priced.
I actually got two pair I wanted a pair to use with my Winchester trapper using iron sights I explained to the optician what I wanted and the distance from my shoulder to the sight and they made me a pair of safety specs that I am still using.
Not sure if this option is available at all Specsavers but mine did them for me.
My standard every day and shooting safety glasses are vary focal and they work fine.
Only problem I have now is I have very limited vision in my left eye but luckily I am right eye dominant.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#10 Post by Lever357 »

I wear Bolle safety glasses over my prescription glasses. They fit without any interference, do not interfere with ear defenders, I don't look any dafter than everyone else and were less than a tenner
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!