From the NRA

A section for news and announcements only.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

From the NRA

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Dear Club Member

Ammunition restriction on Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) ranges in the UK.

The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) has notified the NRA that affiliated target shooting clubs may not use 100 % lead free ammunition (for example ammunition used by deer stalkers) on Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) ranges.

This restriction applies throughout the United Kingdom and comes into immediate effect.

Should you require further clarification please contact me.

Kind regards

Nic Couldrey
Regional Ranges Manager
toffe wrapper

Re: From the NRA

#2 Post by toffe wrapper »

Same rule has been enforce @ Bisley for ages as below.

b. Projectiles that are not constructed of pure lead, lead alloy, or a lead core with a jacket of gilding metal or soft iron. Lead-free mono-metallic bullets may be used during specific events that are controlled and planned by the NSC. They are otherwise forbidden.

Lets hope it helps with retaining lead ammunition for target shooting.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

The none lead thing is about carcases that are going into the food chain. Shooting lead projectiles at targets that are going to end up in a pile of sand I can understand why that isn't an issue. Lets hope they stick to there guns on the issue.
Nic Couldrey
Regional Range Manager that made me chuckle what Regional ranges is he managing exactly.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Nic has been very helpful with getting our new range up and running.
Along with Iain Robertson, both have been invaluable to the whole process from design to running and managing a commercial range.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Whilst it is undoubtedly helpful towards challenging the increasing anti lead drive it also denies the game shooters, many of whose permissions now stipulate non lead bullets, the opportunity to test and develop meaningful loads for their rifles.

I know of at least dozen stalkers who are members of full bore clubs using MOD ranges for the sole purpose of live quarry load development.

What are the MOD's reasons for banning non lead ammunition?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
RDC

#6 Post by RDC »

dromia wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:48 am What are the MOD's reasons for banning non lead ammunition?
From what I remember when I did my RCO course, monolithic bullets are banned because they are a ricochet concern. Where a purely lead or jacketed lead core bullet will splat on impact, the monolithic bullets tend not to.

The instructor had several examples recovered from ranges that had slightly bent tips but that was about it.

I can't say either way how true it is because I've not tested it myself. However I have no reason to doubt the instructor.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

If it is actually the case then it bodes not well for use in the hunting field.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

I think it is a ricochet concern because no one has done the maths to see if a ricochet can be kept in the range danger area/template or not.

Until they do the sums it will stay banned. As they (MoD) don't shoot monolithic bullets they won't be funding the investigation just now.

Looking around backstops and danger areas over the years I have found many bullets with just a bent tip, especially the old .303.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
toffe wrapper

#9 Post by toffe wrapper »

Also like to say how helpful Nic is.
He was quick with sorting something for us when using MOD ranges.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

RDC wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:55 am
dromia wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:48 am What are the MOD's reasons for banning non lead ammunition?
From what I remember when I did my RCO course, monolithic bullets are banned because they are a ricochet concern. Where a purely lead or jacketed lead core bullet will splat on impact, the monolithic bullets tend not to.

The instructor had several examples recovered from ranges that had slightly bent tips but that was about it.

I can't say either way how true it is because I've not tested it myself. However I have no reason to doubt the instructor.
you should try walking down a military range, they are littered with almost perfect bullets and ones with bent noses !