No32 Mk1 Eye relief

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

No32 Mk1 Eye relief

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I spent part of the afternoon putting some shots down range with my 4(T) At 300m I for the most stayed in the 8/9/10 rings and reset the windage zero. Given that is was factory S&B I was dead chuffed however it reminded me of one issue I have. Eye relief. I need to get very close to the 'scope in order to get a good image, this results in the 'scope whacking my shooting glasses which is not fun, if I pull back a bit I get vignetting (is that the word?) and this upsets windage for me, I shoot left.

I am inclined to believe it is my eyes as much as the 'scope. Does anyone know if the eye relief can be adjusted on the No32 Mk1? No doubt Peter Laidler will know but I am not sure if he talks to people or only deals through Fultons.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: No32 Mk1 Eye relief

#2 Post by kennyc »

PM Duff Eyed Doyle, he'll know :D
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Erm... I haven’t plucked up the courage to ask him why he chose his forum name yet, and given the way he aced the last McQueen I am not sure I should... :lol:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Strangely Brown
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Strangely Brown »

http://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

If the link works you should find Peter Laidler here.
Mick
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thanks Mick, I am a member but could not remember the forum name!
/d

Shed Journal
duff eyed doyle
Home club or Range: OSM at Bisley

#6 Post by duff eyed doyle »

I don't think there is anything that can be altered in the scope to adjust the eye relief but as previously suggested in the thread have a chat with Pete laidler to confirm this.
The only time I have come across this problem and seen blood on a few occasions is when people shoot the 4T and don't control the forend trying to shoot the rifle off a sandbag using the left hand under the butt.

Can't remember exactly who christened me duff eyed doyle but it was during my school days many moons ago!
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

You do need to keep a good hold of them. Apparently someone built an ocular lens extender that added 3-4 inches of eye relief, the bad bit is they used a cut up Mk1 'scope to do it.
/d

Shed Journal