How to

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Practical shooter

How to

#1 Post by Practical shooter »

Hello guys,
I was wondering if yous can help. I'd like to own a live fire semi auto pistol, non coat hanger or longer barrel. Id like to keel it at home also. How would I go applying for this and what section would be applicable.

Thanks

Sent from my thong using "An application"
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: How to

#2 Post by dromia »

Section 7.3 Historic pistol, if you want to fire it then you will not be able to keep it at home it will need to be stored and shot at a nominated section 7.3 range and armoury.

If you do not want to fire it then it can be kept at home but not shot under section 7.1.

You will need to convince the powers that be that the firearm is of some historic significance.

Plenty of examples of the type on here if you search and the Home Office are the people to get chapter and verse on the legislation.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Practical shooter

#3 Post by Practical shooter »

Thank your dromia for the information. I'll have a look and see what type of pistols are coverd. Id like something from ww2 as that period of development really interests me

AL8

#4 Post by AL8 »

Practical shooter

#5 Post by Practical shooter »

Thank you, that is very helpful

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

bit late I know, but hey...

basically, If it's an obsolete calibre and you have no intentions of firing it, you can have it at home on your desk, shelf etc. sec58 is the term to search. essentially it is rimfire, original percussion, teat or pinfire chamberings. note 44 russian, 11mm french and a few others are no longer on the obsolete list. if it's a centrefire pistol, it's not going to be sec58 for much longer.

if you want something a bit more modern, you have section 7.1 which is a live gun kept at home, but you cannot ever shoot it, or have ammo of that caliber at home. and the gun has to be locked up, like your sec1's while you aren't 'researching ' it. it also can't be .22, 32acp, 45acp, 38/357 or 9mm I think.The particular gun must also have been made before 1919. Things like webley 455 revolvers meet this. it also needs to meet one of the 4 requirements for section 7. historically significant, rarity, aesthetic quality or technical interest (unique or unusual mechanism)

if you want to be able to shoot it, that's 7.3 and then it has to live at a heritage site, and you and only you are allowed to handle it at a closed off range, sometimes with other 7.3 shooters, but no plain sec1 only shooters. often you can handle / clean / fondle it in a secure room too, so not to tie up their range time, but it can't go home with you ever. Again it has conditions, has to be one of the following, particular gun made before 1919 (although I have seen some paperwork that says 1939), historically significant, rarity, aesthetic quality or technical interest (unique or unusual mechanism).
note the 1st one, if it is made in 1915 then it doesn't matter about historically significant or any other criteria, just the age alone qualifies it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Pre 1915 pistols are deemed to be of historical significance hence the date line. I suppose it had to be drawn somewhere and was affected by the HBSA and others submissions at the time. I did some work on it at then but my memory has lost the details of it but at least the HBSA had some sway with the HO at the time and this section 7 was the outcome.

All of my pistols were eligible for section 7.3 and were transferred and kept at a section 7.3 armoury range.

Try as I might I just could not get off on the section 7.3 way of shooting, it was an encumbrance and an insult too far for me so I gave up on Heritage pistol shooting finally selling my collection to a section 5 dealer a few years ago.

I kept one of my Webleys on section 7.1 and at least I can fondle it at my convenience.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

i think the trick is finding a range that doesn't treat you like a child. luckily I have that
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

#9 Post by lovemunkey187 »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:34 pm bit late I know, but hey...

basically, If it's an obsolete calibre and you have no intentions of firing it, you can have it at home on your desk, shelf etc. sec58 is the term to search. essentially it is rimfire, original percussion, teat or pinfire chamberings. note 44 russian, 11mm french and a few others are no longer on the obsolete list. if it's a centrefire pistol, it's not going to be sec58 for much longer.

if you want something a bit more modern, you have section 7.1 which is a live gun kept at home, but you cannot ever shoot it, or have ammo of that caliber at home. and the gun has to be locked up, like your sec1's while you aren't 'researching ' it. it also can't be .22, 32acp, 45acp, 38/357 or 9mm I think.The particular gun must also have been made before 1919. Things like webley 455 revolvers meet this. it also needs to meet one of the 4 requirements for section 7. historically significant, rarity, aesthetic quality or technical interest (unique or unusual mechanism)

if you want to be able to shoot it, that's 7.3 and then it has to live at a heritage site, and you and only you are allowed to handle it at a closed off range, sometimes with other 7.3 shooters, but no plain sec1 only shooters. often you can handle / clean / fondle it in a secure room too, so not to tie up their range time, but it can't go home with you ever. Again it has conditions, has to be one of the following, particular gun made before 1919 (although I have seen some paperwork that says 1939), historically significant, rarity, aesthetic quality or technical interest (unique or unusual mechanism).
note the 1st one, if it is made in 1915 then it doesn't matter about historically significant or any other criteria, just the age alone qualifies it.
Thank you for summing up the rules. It's answered a few questions I had, and some I didn't know I had.
bradaz11 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:55 pm i think the trick is finding a range that doesn't treat you like a child. luckily I have that
Is there a list of 7.3 ranges anywhere on this site?
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#10 Post by GeeRam »

lovemunkey187 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:51 pm Is there a list of 7.3 ranges anywhere on this site?
There's one here.

https://hbsa-uk.org/hbsa-what-we-do/hbs ... tol-sites/

:good: