.22 LBP Walther gold cup?

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

Fenix1

.22 LBP Walther gold cup?

#1 Post by Fenix1 »

Hi all,
I have a spare slot for a .22 LBP that I want to fill, its only really going to be used for informal plinking so not a competition gun. Trying to keep the budget limited to around £500, so that leaves the GSG firefly, Walther Gold Cup, or GSG 1911. If I went 2nd hand I could possibly get a Browning Buckmark (if I can find one). I have shot a GSG 1911 and it functioned fine, the Firefly has a bit of a bad rep, not sure is that is sorted in the newer ones or fixed after the recall. Ideally I would get a K22 but thats way beyond my budget.

Anybody out there with experience of these? Also trying to find a shop with some option in stock Kent, Sussex, Essex. etc Fultons have the Firefly for £400, which would be easy because i can pickup at the next shoot.

Cheers

Jon
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

Re: .22 LBP Walther gold cup?

#2 Post by poll007 »

I have a GSG 1911 which I picked up for £250 second hand. granted I only got to use it a handful or times but among those were shooting fig 11s at 100m (even managed a couple hits at 200m).

I bought mine for plinking and tinkering and am quite happy with it. I know a few people who have GSG 1911s and they all seem pretty happy with them.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the gold cup but the general consensus from my club and local RFD is that it is more accurate than the GSG ( some say it is more accurate out of the box than a GSG with the "accurizing kit" but I haven't seen any grouping comparisons).

If it is just for plinking I would save the price difference and grab a 2nd hand GSG 1911. Though if buying new there is only £100 or so difference between the two.

APC shooting seem to have both in stock based on a quick look on gunstar.
Jimminy234

#3 Post by Jimminy234 »

I’m still trying to decide similar but my only experience with them is just holding them, I was able to look at the gsg, colt and ppq and for me the colt was the one that felt best in my hands and not having the big weight on the arm made the arm disappear
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

Jimminy234 wrote:I’m still trying to decide similar but my only experience with them is just holding them, I was able to look at the gsg, colt and ppq and for me the colt was the one that felt best in my hands and not having the big weight on the arm made the arm disappear
something to remember is that the big weight is there to counterbalance the long barrel, without it an LBP can become very nose heavy.
I havent tried the Colt however my GSG1911 balances in a very similar manner to my SIG P75 and once at the aim the long barrel and counterweight are not an issue (lack of recoil is more noticeable to be honest compared with the SIG )
any of the above would be more than capable for plinking, but for precision shooting? then generally more money is required
Jimminy234

#5 Post by Jimminy234 »

kennyc wrote:
Jimminy234 wrote:I’m still trying to decide similar but my only experience with them is just holding them, I was able to look at the gsg, colt and ppq and for me the colt was the one that felt best in my hands and not having the big weight on the arm made the arm disappear
something to remember is that the big weight is there to counterbalance the long barrel, without it an LBP can become very nose heavy.
I havent tried the Colt however my GSG1911 balances in a very similar manner to my SIG P75 and once at the aim the long barrel and counterweight are not an issue (lack of recoil is more noticeable to be honest compared with the SIG )
any of the above would be more than capable for plinking, but for precision shooting? then generally more money is required
The gsg has a heavy barrel especially with the fake surpresser so it needs the the big weight on the back.
The colt balances really nicely and feels a lot lighter than the gsg.
The ppq did feel a bit front heavy with the shroud. I have a friend that shoots one and he took the shroud of after his first couple of tries and he really likes it. It always seams reliable which is what has me thinking that’s the one to go for.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

If you like to accessorise/personalise your guns just be aware that the GSG 1911 will accept more genuine 1911 parts than the Gold Cup.

I mainly shoot competitions with my guns and I don't think i've ever seen a Gold CUp being used. Whether that actually means anything I don't know.
DVC
Jimminy234

#7 Post by Jimminy234 »

Blackstuff wrote:If you like to accessorise/personalise your guns just be aware that the GSG 1911 will accept more genuine 1911 parts than the Gold Cup.

I mainly shoot competitions with my guns and I don't think i've ever seen a Gold CUp being used. Whether that actually means anything I don't know.
What are the most popular and most reliable lbp's on the competition scene?
Fenix1

#8 Post by Fenix1 »

Blackstuff wrote:If you like to accessorise/personalise your guns just be aware that the GSG 1911 will accept more genuine 1911 parts than the Gold Cup.

Might just go for the GSG 1911 then, have shot one in the past and thought it was good. What addons do you use? Assumed std bits would fit any of these.

Thanks for he comments in this thread! Going to bit the bullet in the next couple of weeks, next club shoot is on the pistol range.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Jimminy234 wrote:

What are the most popular and most reliable lbp's on the competition scene?
The Grand Power K22 by a long way. The GSG 1911 next then the Low Mills Ranges 1911 and then a smattering of Walther PPQ.
Fenix1 wrote: Might just go for the GSG 1911 then, have shot one in the past and thought it was good. What addons do you use? Assumed std bits would fit any of these.

Thanks for he comments in this thread! Going to bit the bullet in the next couple of weeks, next club shoot is on the pistol range.
The Gold Cup doesn't disassemble like a 'proper' 1911 and that means some parts don't fit. I have a Hogue molded grip, Wilson extended mag release, the 'accurising' bushing/guide rod/spring kit and a Burris Fast Fire III red dot on mine. I've also bought a load of magazine extension kits from Firing Solutions that give me 16 + 1 capacity (they're supposed to be 17+1 but you'd never get the mag in the gun with it full).

If I took LBP shooting more seriously I'd also get the flared magwell and carbon rod from M9 Engineering but I mainly focus on PSG and mini-rifle these days.
DVC
JammyGuns

#10 Post by JammyGuns »

I found the GSG 1911 to be completely wild, even with the aftermarket kit I never got the accuracy that I wanted out of it. That said I have heard of other people doing quite well with them so perhaps there was something especially off with my model in particular. The Gold Cup I replaced it with was a lot better in accuracy and felt somewhat like an actual handgun. Imo the GSG doesn't scale up well in stock form as an LBP if weight is an important factor for you. Regardless of what they all are; some LBPs feel like carbines pretending to be handguns, whereas other models feel more like actual pistols albeit with some added unwanted bits attached to each end... Whether taking it out the safe to clean/handle in the house or even in the act of shooting down the range, the GSG never really felt like a handgun imo. And to me that's the biggest point of owning an LBP in the first place i.e to get as close as possible to a modern semi-auto pistol shooting sensation. On the positive side of things once over the initial break-in phase it ran extremely reliable in the thousands of rds I put through it. Tbh both the GSG and Gold Cup have proved to be much more reliable than my current K22.