Shooting in the rain

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dave 101

Re: Shooting in the rain

#11 Post by Dave 101 »

I dont know if this true or not just a bit of folk loar probably but it sounds logical that rain doesnt actualy touch the bullet in flight as the presure wave around it pushes the rain away .

Dave
Last edited by Dave 101 on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin128

#12 Post by Robin128 »

Don't think .17HMR shooters would agree with that.

:)
johngarnett
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#13 Post by johngarnett »

Dougan wrote:Some great advice as usual :good:

I know it's a stupid question....but...can you confirm that it's ok to take a TR action and barrel out of the stock to dry it for a bit without damaging the beddings? - l take all my other rifles apart, but got it into my head that you shouldn't with a TR :?

It's interesting that rain seems to have less effect on accuracy than you would expect :-P

I have never had a problem with removing the action to dry after a wet shoot. Just be careful. I use tissue which is more absorbant than cloth and dry in a warm area ie in front of TV! Re set to the correct torque setting. I have a Gemini stock which is much more forgiving and is self draining :lol:
I think rain just makes you feel crap when it's in your eyes, running down your neck and dripping off your nose! You just start thinking about the warm car that awaits you nearby, but you must CONCENTRATE!!!!
JohnG
Ovenpaa

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

I agree the most important part is staying dry and relatively warm (A bit like riding a motorbike in that respect)It may take years to find the equipment and clothing that truly works for you. I wear a Goretex jacket with a storm cuff inside around my waist to stop drafts but I am not a TR shooter so this may not suit other disciplines. Also there is nothing worse than having a shirt come untucked when prone and getting a nagging breeze up your back, it certainly puts me off. (Can you tell I like to keep my back warm)

Beware clothing that bulks up around your shoulders as it prevents you getting the butt in the correct position and can lead to all sorts of issues including 'scope bite if you are an F Class shooter.

I have to say I am very impressed with yellow filter shooting glasses on overcast days, a very new discovery for me.

Also, despite how cold it is think long and hard before you attempt to shoot with gloves on and one final thing, long details, rain and cold weather all conspire to destroy your concentration which leads at best to dropped points and at worse to serious and unsafe decisions.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dougan

#15 Post by Dougan »

Thanks again JohnG - Knowing our weather, I'm sure the advice will come in handy soon.... :)
Gun Pimp

#16 Post by Gun Pimp »

Dougan wrote:

I know it's a stupid question....but...can you confirm that it's ok to take a TR action and barrel out of the stock to dry it for a bit without damaging the beddings? - l take all my other rifles apart, but got it into my head that you shouldn't with a TR :?
There shouldn't be a problem removing the barrelled-action with a good bedding job. Care is needed though to avoid chipping the bedding - particularly around the recoil-lug (if there is one) but, better to remove it and dry it out than to ignore it.

Vince
Dangermouse

#17 Post by Dangermouse »

On one of my first trips to Bisley I saw a rifle in the armoury with a stuck case in the chamber. It was explained to me that the round had been wet when inserted and when fired the brass expanded but as water did not expand, the case became stuck. I believe the remedy was to wait for the water to evaporate.

Anyway, as a wet country we could take the lead in developing systems and equipment for shooting in the rain, it is strange that we have not got much further than a towel or as I saw recently at Diggle, a £1 rubber car mat draped over the action.

I have already mentioned to Ovenpaa an idea that I had for a small telescopic umbrella inserted in the ground next to the shooter - a bit like a fishing rod rest with a umbrella on top. He did point out that anything that obscured the RO's view of the shooter would not go down very well.
I intend to pop into the Hobby store to see what materials they have. I am sure a bit of Velcro, or elastic attached to a waterproof sheet could be rigged up very cheaply.

Of course whatever is adopted, the shooter will have to make sure that his rifle does not go over weight for the class they are shooting,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Trident

#18 Post by Trident »

HPS sell a rectangular piece of waterproof sheet with a strip of velcro attached for use as a breech cover.
Gun Pimp

#19 Post by Gun Pimp »

Dave 101 wrote:I dont know if this true or not just a bit of folk loar probably but it sounds logical that rain doesnt actualy touch the bullet in flight as the presure wave around it pushes the rain away .

Dave
Dave - see my earlier post on this subject!

Vince (Gun Pimp)
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#20 Post by Gaz »

Dougan wrote:Some great advice as usual :good:

It's interesting that rain seems to have less effect on accuracy than you would expect :-P
I used to do it all the time, never affected any of the rifles I shot. As long as you're careful seating the action back into the bedding afterwards so you don't chip it away you'll be fine. I used an old bar towel and WD-40 to dry out the bedding and drive away any residual moisture.

I did have one shoot at the DCRA a few years ago in heavy rain at 900m. I'm certain I got water in the chamber because my group opened up to about the entirety of the black for no apparent reason! I think the cause was the changes in velocity caused by the varying pressure, as the water prevented the case from fully expanding in all directions.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.