Booking ranges etc at Bisley

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Booking ranges etc at Bisley

#11 Post by 1066 »

kennyc wrote:After more than 10 years of going to Bisley with my club I would note the following
We book up to a year in advance
It can take multiple attempts to get a booking agreed by the range office due to "clashes"
Bookings are subject to change by the booking office often at the last minute (regardless how many hoops you jumped through to get them in the first place)
Winnons B bookings almost invariably become winnons A in the week before the day (significant because the firearms useable on A and B are different)
Once moved to winnons A invariably B will be empty most or all of the booking!
Markers are bookable in advance until someone else wants them, in which case you get a call a day or two in advance to say you are on your own .
Fat Tony's still cant cook a burger that isnt dry :D

This is our experience, as a club, exactly. Getting range dates organised is, at times, like drawing teeth and then subject to change with very little notice.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

Sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thanks any way.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

1066 wrote:
kennyc wrote:After more than 10 years of going to Bisley with my club I would note the following
We book up to a year in advance
It can take multiple attempts to get a booking agreed by the range office due to "clashes"
Bookings are subject to change by the booking office often at the last minute (regardless how many hoops you jumped through to get them in the first place)
Winnons B bookings almost invariably become winnons A in the week before the day (significant because the firearms useable on A and B are different)
Once moved to winnons A invariably B will be empty most or all of the booking!
Markers are bookable in advance until someone else wants them, in which case you get a call a day or two in advance to say you are on your own .
Fat Tony's still cant cook a burger that isnt dry :D

This is our experience, as a club, exactly. Getting range dates organised is, at times, like drawing teeth and then subject to change with very little notice.
Yep, ours too, especially so over the last 2-3 years.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#14 Post by mag41uk »

Alpha1 wrote:Sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thanks any way.
Dont give up!
My advice would be to pick a time when there are no major events running and to try and shoot midweek.
I was at 900 last tuesday for an hour and the only person there.
Bisley is a busy place and at weekends in high season can be running at capacity.
Must be a headache trying to organise range space.
If you need a marker best to hire your own. There are some good ones around who will be beneficial to your day.
My club has a booking every month and I cant remember any being cancelled other than a change of distance.
rox

#15 Post by rox »

mag41uk wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Sounds like more trouble than its worth. Thanks any way.
Dont give up!
My advice would be to pick a time when there are no major events running and to try and shoot midweek.
Exactly. I booked Monday to shoot Tuesday and got what I wanted. It's the same almost every time I book, which is once or twice a week. Before COVID I just used to turn-up and ask. But to get something at a peak weekend at short notice, when the entire season has been compressed by COVID and the already very very busy schedule has been squeezed into less time, with club shoots, matches and large meetings still being re-arranged to fit - many of them looking for dates after accomodation has opened - that would be asking a lot (but probably still possible if the requirements are straightforward and there's some flexibility).

I can understand it being a bit confusing, just as booking an MOD range would be confusing to me. If the OP had indicated the type of thing he wanted (e.g. suitable distances, or types of firearm to be used, and rough dates & whether weekday or weekend) then the advice could be simpler and more specific. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be happy to help.

Jamesthut
Home club or Range: London Historic Shooting Club

#16 Post by Jamesthut »

I've had no issues booking weekend range time at Bisley recently - on Century and Short Siberia Ranges. Bookings have been accepted quite promptly. We self mark the targets as the hired markers can sometimes be frustrating.

As mentioned above, if there are competitions running, or they aren't doing the distance(s) you're after, it can be trickier to book what you want. Best to check this page before you book: https://nra.org.uk/nra-bisley/ranges/la ... ailablity/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks for your help guys. We have booked up for some days in June.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#18 Post by GeeRam »

Our club has just had a Sunday am 300yrd shoot booked for September cancelled... 8-)
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#19 Post by Pete »

Did they say why?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
nCognitos

#20 Post by nCognitos »

450 Martini wrote:I've been shooting full bore for nearly 20 years and never shot at Bisley either. The prospect terrifies me and reminds me of visiting my Great Uncle's Golf Club house when I was young and getting shouted at by an old man for wearing the wrong colour tie in the club room.
LOL... this made me laugh... :D

When I was at University, my club was affiliated to the Surrey and it was a bit like that. When I came back to shooting quite recently, I was terrified about joining one of the bigger clubs, the Surrey or the L&M, my biggest fear is that I would pass the pepper the wrong way at dinner and no-one would tell me! Then forever I'd be known as the guy who didn't know how to eat properly!!

Anyway, I found a club at Bisley full of normal people who shoot scoped rifles and gallery in the main, though personally, I'd quite like to pick up a target rifle again, so I may do the NRA course.

It's nothing to be worried about, you can shoot 100, 200, 300, 600, 900, 1000 yds on electronic scoreboards or if you are a club split into two details with half of you working the targets at a time. The short gallery ranges are great and everyone pretty much leaves you alone, unless you do something dumb. There are a couple of cafes and very easy parking next to the firing points.

I've been shooting most weekends recently and there is always availability, though Short Siberia did get a bit busy, (100, 200yds). Unless there is a competition on, or the Imperial meeting, it's pretty quiet at the moment, and dead during the week.

You can only book a range if you are a member of the NRA or an affiliated club but if its your first time, just say so at the range office. If they have a spare hand, they will probably come out with you and show you the ropes. Strong safety culture but within that, I usually find them really helpful, they want you to shoot and they will help you get the most out of it.