Carl Sagan

Post a picture or Youtube of something interesting, no peaches or muffins please.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
If your post is vaguely 'Not Work Safe' please include NWS in the Subject field.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Carl Sagan

#1 Post by Geek »

Interesting picture and quote:
Attachments
sagan.jpg
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Carl Sagan

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I feel like I grew up with Sagan and possibly because he died in his early 60s it still feels like he is around. Maybe because he never grew old.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
gashtyke

#3 Post by gashtyke »

From the age when Scientists and Philosophers and intellectuals used TV media to teach people. Such as Bronowski with 'The Ascent of Man', Clarke with ' Civilisation' and Sagan's 'Cosmos'.

Unfortunately the last thing the modern media wants, is for people to think for themselves or to learn anything.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

Does anyone remember a short film, I think from the late-70s, that starts of with an atom and pans out and the atom is in a drop of blood in a mosquito that is on someone’s arm and the camera keeps panning out from that one atom until it ends up viewing our galaxy from deep space.......I’m sure I haven’t dreamt it
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

I remember Sagan, and yes gashtyke, those were the days when you were expected to learn to think for yourself, something which sadly seems to have gone out of fashion. I wish we had more like him around today - but then today he would probably accidentally run afoul of the current orthodoxy and be marginalised for it.
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

Was really into astronomy as a kid - guys like Sagan were amazing.

Snayperskaya - is this the one you mean?

https://aeon.co/videos/the-classic-1977 ... erspective
The classic 1977 film that put the vastness of the universe into perspective

Opening at the scene of a picnic in a Chicago park, then gradually zooming out to encompass a view 100 million light years away before magnifying down again to a single proton, this classic 1977 short documentary by the legendary husband-and-wife design team Charles and Ray Eames uses exponential powers of ten to contextualise the scale of the known universe and chart the limits of human understanding. An ‘adventure in magnitudes’, Powers of Ten has been used to teach millions and millions about the cosmos and the microcosmic, and remains an extraordinary journey nearly 40 years later.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

It wasn’t that one Chuck, the one I’m thinking of definitely had a mosquito in it......

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

Found it, I knew there was a mosquito in it and I hadn’t dreamt it!......it’s called Cosmic Zoom, just watched it for the first time since watching it at junior school in about 1977!.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfwCrKe_Fk

Chuck

#9 Post by Chuck »

Good one, Snayperskaya.

I'll watch it when my internet speeds up. 200Kbps right now...seriousy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wallhead wallhead wallhead **** **** ****
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!