Anyone fancy trying some fun long range shooting at Bisley?

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

Anyone fancy trying some fun long range shooting at Bisley?

#1 Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

The NRA has made it easier to shoot in the Imperial shooting competition this year by expanding the “Any Rifle” competitions meaning you don’t need some weirdly configured, only good for targets rifle to shoot there – and as a pleasant surprise, SOME OF THESE EVENTS ARE ON A WEEKEND!

“Any Rifle” is a pretty flexible set of competition rules and as implies can use any rifle and scope as long as:
Less than .577” bore

A trigger weight of more than 0.5kg (Set a bit heavier is not a bad idea as they pick the rifle up against a hanging weight)

Not a .50 bmg or .338 cal

Less than 7000 Joules (5160) ft lbs Muzzle energy*

No bipods but you can use a front hand rest and a glove (“The dimensions of the area of contact must not exceed 145mm x 102mm”) most people use something like this

And you have to put your hand on that and hold the rifle.

You cannot have the butt of the rifle supported and it must be in the shoulder (so no rear bags or rear monopods etc I’m afraid).

So, that’s quite a lot of rifles that are allowed.

You can compete in the following events with your “Any rifle”

Targets are an NRA long range target which is a big black dot which is 48” across. (Smaller scoring rings within that dot and larger ones outside it).

So, if you fancy a go at some fun long-range shooting, come and have a play!

I’ll be there with my 7x64 deer rifle. I entered the 1,200 any rifle last year. First time I’d ever shot at 1,200 yds and I didn’t come last so don’t be embarrassed. If I can hit the target, you can too.

Scrummy

Official website is here: https://online.nra.org.uk/mr-imp21

The official rule book is here: https://nra.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/N ... 9frKDtY4OU

* A note on more powerful rifles - High Muzzle Energy aka “HME” – if your rifle has a muzzle energy of more than 4,500 Joules (3,319 ftlbs) you will have to do a zero check. What the NRA ask you to do is shoot 3 rounds at a target placed at ~24 yds. You shoot at the little black dot and the bullet holes should appear in the dashed box above it – This lets the Range Officers check that you are not so likely to plough rounds into the ground in front of the target or launch them over the top of the backstop and keeps the Ministry of Defense (who actually own Bisley) happy. (Also is a handy one to do to check your scope isn’t totally out of whack and you are tracking straight).
StanDeasy

Re: Anyone fancy trying some fun long range shooting at Bisl

#2 Post by StanDeasy »

I entered the 1,200 any rifle some years ago, it's a great fun competition A guy on the next target was shooting a Ruger No.1 in 300 Weatherby Mag. He didn't get a great score, but was on the target for every shot - including sighters!
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

Re: Anyone fancy trying some fun long range shooting at Bisl

#3 Post by Scrumbag »

StanDeasy wrote:I entered the 1,200 any rifle some years ago, it's a great fun competition A guy on the next target was shooting a Ruger No.1 in 300 Weatherby Mag. He didn't get a great score, but was on the target for every shot - including sighters!
Well it will have got their quickly! Blimey!

I shot a 460 Weatherby mag a few years ago. And I was dumb enough to use more than one round....

Scrummy