A Long Shot.

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Bluesjnr
Home club or Range: Bisley

A Long Shot.

#1 Post by Bluesjnr »

I'll bet that title's been used many times, so apologies for the lack of originality. I'm new here and I'll work on it ;)

I am a current shotgun and air rifle licence holder who is just about to add an FAC to my portfolio. I've been chatting with my local FEO and he tells me that due to Covid, and the restrictions Police Scotland have on home visits for licensing, that "new" grants are likely to be refused at this point in time.

He has made a case for me based on my shotgun licence (due to having had it for some 20 odd years) and he has informed me that, following and dependent upon my formal interview, over the phone, on Monday he'll process the application but it will be for .22 only at this point in time. He hasn't confirmed whether he'll allow centrefire or only rimfire.

Which brings me to why I'm writing. I'm bewildered by the array of rifles out there at .22LR. It seems that everybody has their favourite and it's difficult to land on any particular choice.

I'll be using my rifle for rabbit control primarily.

Is there anybody on here from the Angus/Perth/Dundee area who might be willing to let me accompany them on their next pest control outing and have a hands on experience with their rifle of choice? I'd be very grateful if this was the case. I trust this would be allowed on an "Estate Rifle" basis until my licence comes through in March? I'm happy to contribute to any ammo costs.

Thanks for the time taken to read this and hopefully somebody will be able and willing to help.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: A Long Shot.

#2 Post by IainWR »

Welcome, and well done for a very sensible approach to FAC and rifle shooting.
May I suggest that, if you haven't already, joining a National body (have a look at SACS) may pay dividends?
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Your question: I think it depends a bit on your mind-set, what sort of ground you will shooting over and your budget.

New or used? Bolt action or semi-auto? Long range accuracy or handy to carry about? Used from a vehicle? Moderator/screwcut?

A good accurate reliable bolt action .22lr can be had for very little money - Say an old Brno 2E, dozens gathering dust on dealers racks. Will give you all the accuracy you will need, never miss a beat. Maybe not very cool and have an unfashionable long barrel but will never let you down. £150 possibly with a scope thrown in.

On the other hand - sticking with a bolt action, a new Tikka 1x, Sako Finnfire 2 (an older Finnfire 1 would be a better choice)

On the semi-auto side - a Ruger 10/22 seems to be pretty standard (I'm not a fan) but there are plenty of other choices.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome.

Mentoring is great idea. If you can find someone prepared to let you tag along you should get a good grounding fairly quickly. An understanding of safe shots and backdrops is every bit as important as understanding what you can and cannot shoot. Personally, I would consider a bolt action rifle, ultimate choice being down to fit and budget. Allow for a sound moderator as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Bluesjnr

#5 Post by Bluesjnr »

Thanks to all for your considered answers. The same makes keep cropping up so it looks like it's narrowed down to these few for a reliable new or 2nd hand.

Budget wise, I'm happy to pay up to 4 figures and just as happy to snare a decent used rifle for a couple of hundred. I'm not a gear snob, I want a good fit and an accurate reliable piece.

I have a sole permission on a 200 acre area for rabbits only (there are specific reasons for this). I'm currently bagging plenty with my PCP but it's hard work and I'm keen to ensure humane kills! I'd be happy to speak to the owner if somebody who lives in Angus around Forfar would like to give me a "test drive". Whilst mentoring is a great idea I'm not really looking for that, I was more looking (hoping) for somebody local who might be willing to let me have a hands on test to help me decide what might be best. Having just written that please be aware that I'd welcome any one to one help and guidance that was offered.

I'm a very solitary individual and not much of a joiner but I'll have a look at the SACS site - thanks for that.

Again, cheers!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

Welcome to the club. Are you a Fender guitar amp fan by any chance?
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

Ruger 10-22 is a very popular choice for rabbit control, especially if you are moving around a lot during the hunt. A heavy rifle can be a bit of a pain when that happens.

If you think you will be doing a lot of your shooting stationary, then Ruger has a very nice chassis rifle in .22LR, https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

If you don't want a full-on chassis rifles, Bergara could be good for your purposes: https://www.bergara.online/en/rifles/rimfire-series/
Bluesjnr

#8 Post by Bluesjnr »

Pippin89 wrote:Welcome to the club. Are you a Fender guitar amp fan by any chance?
Well spotted! It's an obvious one, if you are a guitarist. Thanks for the welcome!
Bluesjnr

#9 Post by Bluesjnr »

DaveB wrote:Ruger 10-22 is a very popular choice for rabbit control, especially if you are moving around a lot during the hunt. A heavy rifle can be a bit of a pain when that happens.

If you think you will be doing a lot of your shooting stationary, then Ruger has a very nice chassis rifle in .22LR, https://ruger.com/products/precisionRimfire/models.html

If you don't want a full-on chassis rifles, Bergara could be good for your purposes: https://www.bergara.online/en/rifles/rimfire-series/
Thanks DaveB - slowly coming round to the Ruger 10-22 but also looked at a new Marlin 60SN. It's very much on the budget side and like I say I'm no gear snob, for around £500 all in I'd get a complete set up. Can't see much negativity surrounding it and the make has a long pedigree.

My FEO phone interview is slated for tomorrow so I'll know better just what he'll allow on my licence and I can start to look seriously.

Once more, I appreciate the assists!
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#10 Post by Daryll »

I've both a 10/22 and, as (1066 suggested), a CZ452 (= Brno 2E). The CZ is the most acccurate, even with the 16'' barrel, and with a moderator is very quiet.
Even with a moderator, the 10/22 won't be as quiet as the moving parts make a noise.

Personally, I'd go with a s/h CZ bolt action, and save some money.. also, you won't worry about it getting scratched/dirty/wet as much as you would with a new £1k rifle.. :-)