Uberti Cattleman muzzleloader in .44 - which mould?

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

Jamesthut
Home club or Range: London Historic Shooting Club

Uberti Cattleman muzzleloader in .44 - which mould?

#1 Post by Jamesthut »

I've recently purchased my first muzzleloading gun - Uberti Cattleman in .44, which I've yet to get my hands on.

I'm just wondering exactly which Lee moulds would be appropriate. The Uberti manuals suggest a 454 or 457 round ball mould, or a 454 conical bullet mould. A friend suggested a conical bullet might be more accurate, so I wanted to explore this route. Lee appears to make conical moulds in 450 (MOLD D C 450-200-1R - maybe too small?) and 456 (MOLD D C 456-220-1R) but not 454. Does anyone know if the 456 conical mould would work well? Or should I stick to round ball, and if so, which size?

Any advice welcomed.

J.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: Uberti Cattleman muzzleloader in .44 - which mould?

#2 Post by FredB »

Conical bullets do not generally work well in revolvers, due to the difficulty in seating them absolutely straight in the cylinder. A 454 ball should be OK.
Fred
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

What Fred said, round ball is spot on for pistol ranges in revolvers.

Easier to cast and load as well just make sure you use a near as you can get to pure lead.

Size depends on your gun, I would go for at least a thou over the largest diameter chamber mouth on your gun and make sure that this is at least two thou over groove diameter of the barrel.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Jamesthut
Home club or Range: London Historic Shooting Club

#4 Post by Jamesthut »

Thanks both. I don't have a source of pure lead unfortunately. I've heard one can damage a loading lever/stand if not using pure lead.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

Possibly but mainly because hard bullets BP or smokeless are usually inaccurate and cause leading.

A broken loading lever is as much lack of feel for and sympathy with the firearm as a hard alloy.

If you need to force it unduly then stop and find out why, really people who ignore such things should not be hand loading.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

Jamesthut wrote:Thanks both. I don't have a source of pure lead unfortunately. I've heard one can damage a loading lever/stand if not using pure lead.
I accidentally mixed up a small batch of my regular bullet casting lead with my pure lead once. I'd been clearing out the garage and some of my old wheel weight lead ended up in the wrong box. I cast about fifty balls of the hard stuff.

You will immediately notice the difference the moment you try to operate the loading lever - it just won't budge.
Even the least experienced BP shooter will immediately think "this ain't right."
You'd have to be some kind of Frank Spencer to try and continue - you'd need to really lean on it hard. These are the guys that bend levers.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

Your local 'scrappy' will sell you scrap flashing or pipe lead.
Watch out when melting pipe as residual moisture can cause a serious problem!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

the little loaders kranks sell are a bit rubbish, I extended the handle on mine to make it seat easier.
I also prefer to use the slightly larger roundball as I get a nicer shave of lead when seating in the chamber,
conicals are a pain in the bum with cattlemans, they also need seating deeper so if using nitro you'd need to back off even further on charge weight, or you can't get as much BP in.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Barley99

#9 Post by Barley99 »

Just wondering if anyone using one of these revolvers is using Pyrodex? Just bought one and can't get my exp. licence for BP as the local F Dept aren't issuing new certs at the moment due to Covid. Do have some pyrodex in stock though.
Nickharvey888
Home club or Range: Gally Hill

#10 Post by Nickharvey888 »

The only dimension that matters for the ball is the chamber diameter. Too small a ball and you risk flashover (if not using grease to seal it) and the awkwardness of having the gun jam because the balls moved forward under recoil. 3 thou is a surprisingly large amount to sewage off the ball using a fitted loading ram so try fitting ball to the chamber mouth and start with the smallest diameter than wont go in. There’s no set factory diameter and new cylinders will vary significantly, as the previous poster wrote, sometimes on the same cylinder.