P14 - Feeding issues, thoughts

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

dave_303

P14 - Feeding issues, thoughts

#1 Post by dave_303 »

I have an Eddystone P14, over the last few years it has had some feeding issues,
At first, the top round (feeding from the right) would slam into the flat surface in front of the feed ramp (I first noticed this when operating the rifle in a 'soldierly fashion' and pushed the bullet head back into the case. The issue now seems to be occurring with round 3 as well (also feeding from the right). However, it does not happen with the last round (feeding from the right), nor does it occur from the left hand side of the follower (which is the raised side).

I initially thought that this was a follower issue, not presenting the round properly at the forward end. But, with it occurring further down the magazine, but not on the last round, nor from the left side, I'm beginning to wonder whether it's a weak spring.

Just wondering if the hive mind had any thoughts!
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: P14 - Feeding issues, thoughts

#2 Post by hitchphil »

We had the same problem with the club P14 refurb - we had the wrong ammo box liner inside - P14s were made to accept 30-06, 303 & 7.62 & the box insert is different by cal & make (Winchester ones may not be exactly the same as Eddystone etc) - so check the insert out.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

hitchphil wrote:We had the same problem with the club P14 refurb - we had the wrong ammo box liner inside - P14s were made to accept 30-06, 303 & 7.62 & the box insert is different by cal & make (Winchester ones may not be exactly the same as Eddystone etc) - so check the insert out.
I've read that the Winchester made rifles are particularly fussy about its bits (ooh err) and only function well if all parts are Winchester made items, whereas the Eddystone and Remington versions seem to function happily with mix n matched parts from either of those two makers.

Maybe worth checking to see if the mag bits are Winchester items, and if so, try and find some replacement Eddystone or Remington parts?
dave_303

#4 Post by dave_303 »

Thanks guys,
I've just stripped down (ooh err too) the magazine housing.
The magazine is marked R on the back and is definitely a .303 one.
The follower has an E on the underside.

The rifle receiver itself is an Eddystone (the barrel is a Winchester one, I had been told by the dealer I had purchased it from that they had done this as the old one was not in good condition.

I cleaned and oiled the whole assembly, went to put 5 (dummy) rounds into it. The first 5 cycled ok. Did it again and the same problem arose, the first round goes straight into the front wall/flat surface near the feed ramp.

The next round (from the raised left side) feeds perfectly) then next one feeds ok, but I had to be easy on it, the last 2 feed perfectly.
I have a new spring on the way, hope that does the trick
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

dave_303 wrote: The rifle receiver itself is an Eddystone (the barrel is a Winchester one, I had been told by the dealer I had purchased it from that they had done this as the old one was not in good condition.
Hmmm..... hopefully that Winchester barrel isn't the source of your issue.
dave_303 wrote: I have a new spring on the way, hope that does the trick
Hopefully that will do the trick... cheers
dave_303

#6 Post by dave_303 »

I'm really sure it isn't the barrel, otherwise it would affect all the rounds. It affects only one side of the magazine (the lower right hand side) and the rounds don't even get as far as the barrel. They stop at the end of the magazine box/side of the feedramp