Underlevers

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Underlevers

#31 Post by dromia »

I am another Uberti replica fan

I have a1860 Henry in 44-40, 1866 30" barrel in 32-20, 1873 carbine in 38-40.

All shooting black powder loads, why would anyone want to load anything else?

All are tack drivers giving consistent 4" groups at 100 yrds rested and that is with my diminishing eyes and the open sights.

The rifles and loads can do better, it is the operator that is holding them back.

My other favourite underlevers are the Savage 1899 models.

I have examples in .22" Savage Hi-Power, 25-35 Winchester and .300" Savage.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
drone

#32 Post by drone »

I can't keep up with how quickly the edit function is removed from a post, In the image in the post above showing the group I made, the group (some would say pattern) on the target beneath was made by a 357 henry golden boy, fwiw.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#33 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I have owned a Rossi 24in stainless model since 1998 its operated flawlessly, and has had 1000s of both .38 and .357 through it.
Problematical fitting a scope as it is a top eject, but mine is fitted with a side mounted aperture sight, and still do`s the job most accurately.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#34 Post by DaveB »

I love 'underlever' (as you call them, we just call them lever action) rifles. Just bought a new-production Winchester Model 1873 in .44 WCF (.44-40). I also have an early-1980s Rossi .44 Magnum Model 92, a Winchester Golden Spike commemorative Model 94, a 1913 2nd Model 1894 - all with 20 inch barrels. I also have a a late-1980s Trapper Model 94 that I found in a small gun shop in rural Ontario where it had sat unsold for nearly a decade. All the Model 94/1894 rifles are in .30 WCF. I was happy to find a Trapper Model that was still top-eject, as by then Winchester had introduced Angle Eject. My only regret is that I couldn't find an earlier one which still had the half-cock notch. I am a bit of a traditionalist and wanted nothing to do with either Angle Eject or external safeties. My wife has a 2000s vintage Rossi 92 in .44-40.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#35 Post by Mattnall »

I also have the 1866 in 32-20. It is a great rifle to shoot and I'm sure it can shoot way better than me.
I found getting suitable bullets was a pain so I had to start casting my own and then there was another whole branch of the hobby opening up before me.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by 1066 »

drone wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:57 am .
This is a group I shot with the rossi yesterday, with silvalub RN 158 grn bullets at about 1000 fps, I shot the 5 on the uppermost paper( which was the luck of the draw xmas shoot - scores on the rear of the sheet, got me second place in my squad against a bull barrel 10/22!!! ) FWIW it's the best group I've ever made with that gun, quite a pleasant surprise except my son shoots it even better.
rossi xmas group.jpg
That's interesting, I never could get a Silverlube bullet to shoot well in anything. What range was that group with the Rossi? Shot offhand?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
drone

#37 Post by drone »

1066 25 yards off a wobbly table. It's a funny old world within reason it doesn't seem to matter about the distance, I get the same size groups, on the bit of scrubland where I do me load testing at 50 yards ish I get 3 inch groups or just above, I turn round and shoot the other way into the quarry from the side of a barn and its almost 100 yards and I get 3" groups or just above.
I can't remember if I posted on here but my win 94 in 30/30 with a williams peep sight my groups have deteriorated to 4 ish inches at both the same distances my son came to a range day at 100 meters and bugger me 4 touching and one a couple of inches adrift, did it 3 times.
So I've sent off to brownells for a side mount scope base and a scope mount for the 94 to see if that sharpens up my groups.
TBH at my age sometimes I'm happy just to hit the paper.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#38 Post by 1066 »

I understand about the age thing, my pistol shooting is becoming an embarrassment and several years ago my eyes and knees told me it was time to give up prone aperture sight shooting. However, I still feel able to compete on fairly level terms from a bench with a scope and I seem to keep up with most of the younger club members with my Win 94 in regular 20 yd standing competitions using a low power scope.

Have you investigated different bullets/loads for your Rossi? Is it a .38/357? are you shooting .38 cases in a .357 chamber?

I shot this last week 20 yards standing with my Win94 .357. 158gn soft cast bullet, Alox lube, 4.5gn Unique in a .357 case.

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
drone

#39 Post by drone »

I have been using 38 sp cases but recently acquired 500 357 cases that came in mtm cases at half the price of the mtm cases alone. Once I've burned off all the 38 sp loads I'll work up one using 357 cases abd see how it goes with those.
By and large I think the guns are accurate it's just me self deluding that I am. ****
rufrdr

#40 Post by rufrdr »

Winchester 92 .25-20 from 1923. The octagon barrel is heavy!

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper