Ross single-shot .280 Ross target rifles

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

boltman

Ross single-shot .280 Ross target rifles

#1 Post by boltman »

Hello -

I have just joined and new to your site. It looks very interesting. I have a variety of rifle interests - all vintage. One area of interest is Ross rifles and a subset of that interest is Ross target rifles - both the single-shot (back position) (heel-sighted) rifles as well as the MkII** .303 match target rifles. I've seen a fair number of photos (e.g. team photos) of the MkII** target rifles that were used in competition (including in England) around 110 years ago. However, I've seen almost no photos of the single-shot rifles in use - and that is what I am searching for. The MkII** rifles were used extensively in team competition. The single-shots seemed to be used in individual competition. However, any information or photos of their use in team competition would be much appreciated.

Here are three of my single-shot rifles so you can see what I am talking about. They are fairly distinctive in appearance:

boltman

Re: Ross single-shot .280 Ross target rifles

#2 Post by boltman »

Let me add, I am interested in hearing from others who have experience (or even awareness) of this style rifle, know of the existence of Ross single-shot target rifles, or even have experience or knowledge of the, "back style" or, "toes forward" style of target shooting.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

I am aware of this style of shooting and some of the Characters that participated but its not a style of shooting I have ever been interested in shooting my self.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Best to insert the photo link in your post as some of us will not follow external links just posted bare in a post.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
andrew375

#5 Post by andrew375 »

And could you resize the pictures please before you post. As well as taking forever to load some of us are viewing using mobile data. Also, its nice to be able to view pictures in their entirety rather than having to scroll around the screen.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome to the forum. I have come across and worked on, single shot Ross target rifles but not configured as back guns. I must admit to being a bit of a fan of the earlier models.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
boltman

#7 Post by boltman »

Ovenpaa wrote:Welcome to the forum. I have come across and worked on, single shot Ross target rifles but not configured as back guns. I must admit to being a bit of a fan of the earlier models.
That is very interesting to me. I've never seen a Ross .280 single-shot rifle configured any other way than in the back position. The configuration is set up for these type sights so these must have been substantially modified rifles?

Thank you to those that provided feedback on my picture-posting. I am new to this site. I want to post photos in a way that is optimal and user-friendly. Please bear with me as I try to catch on. I am not a computer geek. Very far from it ;)
boltman

#8 Post by boltman »

Ok, I'm trying to post a photo a different way. Here's a photo of some of the barrel markings on one of the three rifles:
Attachments
Match Target barrel weight photo.jpg