.22 Semi-Auto

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Re: .22 Semi-Auto

#11 Post by Sim G »

There’s a Marlin 7000T here, with six mags! At under 300 quid, quite a buy. They were designed for the US shooting squad, hence the colours of the laminate stock.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/ma ... 0142603006

Might be too heavy though. Other Marlin semis are a really good buy as well. The 70PSS is their takedown, stainless. 7 or 10 round mags, off the top of my head is less than four pounds.

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/ma ... 3173842009

Or something in the middle, like the Marlin 955SS. Again detachable magazine, stainless and synthetic a well under rated and hence bargain secondhand!

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/ma ... 7132819008
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#12 Post by 1066 »

Christel wrote:1066, just that I need to narrow it down as I do not want to buy multiple guns.

We have a 10/22 here however it frankly leaves me cold.

Just wondering if there was something out there that would be interesting enough to look into.
I think it depends how you want to approach LSR. If you're coming from a fairly serious ISSF 10m air background, heavy leather fitted shooting jacket, fully adjustable stock, hamster etc. then you would be well used to standing stock still with a heavy rifle and expecting every shot to be in the 9 ring and a "win at all costs" type attitude.

On the other hand, I believe the spirit of the event is to use your "rabbit" rifle, compete with people at your own level and above all enjoy it and have fun.

Then it depends if you fancy the military/tactical/black rifle look/feel or something more traditional.

Have you set you heart on a semi-auto? By their very nature they mostly suffer from poor, sloppy, spongy, creepy, heavy triggers.

I shoot with a chap who has a Anschutz 1727 with a straight pull Fortner action - it's lightening fast and a joy to use. Other biathlon rifles like the Izhmash with the Fortner type action are good if you could find one.

Or - What about a Henry underlever (or a pump) with a suitable small scope - well within the spirit of the game, easy to cycle, trigger ok, reliable, plenty accurate enough and fun to shoot.

If really want a semi-auto that not a 10/22 variant that the Marlin 66 probably fits the bill.

I use my old Voere, ticks all the boxes except the trigger which is not good by any measure.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ovenpaa

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Mattnall wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:i thought the tube gun was for this?
Perhaps someone is not sharing their toys. :o
Hehe, it is because Christel finds the tube gun heavy. I am used to shooting an Original 66 springer off-hand so the M54S-430 at a tad under 4,5kgs works well for me with regards to ergonomics and weight, Christel on the other hand shoots an Edge which weighs around 2,75kgs. It is not just the weight, it is also where it is and the tube gun balance point is quite far forward, even with the fluted barrel. An 18" barrel and semi auto would suit her a lot better than the things I shoot.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#14 Post by Mattnall »

Ovenpaa wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
Hehe, it is because Christel finds the tube gun heavy. I am used to shooting an Original 66 springer off-hand so the M54S-430 at a tad under 4,5kgs works well for me with regards to ergonomics and weight, Christel on the other hand shoots an Edge which weighs around 2,75kgs. It is not just the weight, it is also where it is and the tube gun balance point is quite far forward, even with the fluted barrel. An 18" barrel and semi auto would suit her a lot better than the things I shoot.
She's just being a girl. ;)

My wife's the same: "I need my own rifle", "you've got loads, why can't I have another?" and "your one is too big", but my favourite, "what's yours' is mine and I need more ammo!"
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bradaz11
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#15 Post by bradaz11 »

Whenever I take my gf shooting, the guns are always to heavy. Even my 44 Rossi, or M1 carbine. Go to the gym!
Ahem, I digress. 1066 idea of a lever action could work if they're allowed, although I doubt a Henry is first choice when we talk light...
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

Christel was shooting with her .22LR 1866 with peep sight at 50m the other day with some impressive results however she would have to stop with the peep sight as it is top eject.

No matter as I suspect she is sorted now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Cornish-Viking
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers, Cornwall Rifle Club, Duchy Shooting Association & Launceston Rifle and Pistol Club

#17 Post by Cornish-Viking »

I use a Kriss Defiance. Only because I wanted an all metal AR platform. Its been very good to me with some great results.
- Tikka - 6.5 Creedmoor/MDT ACC
- Schmeisser LMR 223
- 1942 Lee Enfield No4 Mk1
- Bergara B14r Carbon
- CZ 457 Long Range Precision Gen2
- Kriss Defiance DMK
- GSG 1911
- Beretta 686E 12g

https://www.instagram.com/cornish_viking/
Christel
Site Admin

#18 Post by Christel »

Mattnall wrote:
Both - nail on head.

As we worked on the Anschutz Ovenpaa took a shine to it - to the degree that when we were out pre C19 I shot it twice.

So I figured get my own gun and it looks like Ovenpaa sorted that out for me yesterday (I wasn't here) Maybe a touch of bad conscience on his part :)

Our outdoor .22 range has opened up - our other clubs are still shut - so time to practice some LSR.

thankssign SimG.
Christel
Site Admin

#19 Post by Christel »

Picture of the one that is coming today or tomorrow. It looks a bit like a boiled sweet :)

lollol
Attachments
Marlin.jpg
Mattnall
Full-Bore UK Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#20 Post by Mattnall »

Lovely.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.