NRA General Council Elections - Vote for me please

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: NRA General Council Elections - Vote for me please

#61 Post by Les »

Pete wrote:Trust me, those of us NRA members who use Bisley regularly are acutely aware of the shortcomings of the NRA organisation and it's personnel..............but the fact is, they're in a sellers market, and they know it...........
They fully understand the passion that most shooters, competitive and recreational, hunters, etc. have for their sport.
They have arguably the best facility in the country, in fact, for a lot of us, the only convenient facility, so if we want to shoot, we just have to suck it up.

Pete
Therein lies the problem, Pete. There have been ample opportunities to have a range 'up north', but they have never been taken.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#62 Post by Pete »

To create a range with a 1200yd max distance + safety area and a reasonable number of targets would require a huge chunk of ground...........
Is there realistically anywhere in England where this could be done without interfering in other interests, like driven grouse or stalking?
North of the border would be more realistic......on past visits to the highlands, I often thought how nice it would be to be able to shoot across one of the wide valleys.
With a mountain backstop, far less ground would be needed.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#63 Post by Andy632 »

Pete wrote:To create a range with a 1200yd max distance + safety area and a reasonable number of targets would require a huge chunk of ground...........
Is there realistically anywhere in England where this could be done without interfering in other interests, like driven grouse or stalking?
North of the border would be more realistic......on past visits to the highlands, I often thought how nice it would be to be able to shoot across one of the wide valleys.

Pete

I agree, and am also willing to chip in a few quid towards it.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#64 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Yes it would be very nice to have a Bisley facility. I would settle or a lot less than 1200M.
Do you know how bloody cold it gets up there...Definitely Braveheart country, and we could lose it if the SNP have there way.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#65 Post by Les »

Pete wrote:To create a range with a 1200yd max distance + safety area and a reasonable number of targets would require a huge chunk of ground...........

Pete
I don't think anybody would expect a full-blown Bisley to appear overnight. Even an upscaled Diggle, with the possibility to expand, would be a start. What bothers me is that the NRA have never even tried to find a suitable site ..... or if they did, they kept it quiet (or I missed it, in which case I apologise :oops: )
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#66 Post by Andy632 »

I believe Fort George ranges ( Highlands) will be on the market within a couple years, once they close the Fort.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#67 Post by Pete »

Mauserbill wrote:
Do you know how bloody cold it gets up there...Definitely Braveheart country, and we could lose it if the SNP have there way.
Yes.........I remember arriving at the summit of Ben Nevis around 13.00 one day in February, 1978, in brilliant sunshine, having set out before dawn.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
MistAgain

#68 Post by MistAgain »

I would think an NRA(NSC) range in the north needs lot of thought .

Would we really be happy with an NRA (NSC) owned and run range ?

The majority of NRA members live within 1/12 – 2 hours away from Bisley . I would bet that if the NRA (NSC) invested any large sums of money to buy and operate a new range up north , you would hear the screams as far north as the Shetlands from the NRA members who would want every available penny spending on “their” range at Bisley .

On balance I would think the NRS(NSC) will never own and operate a range up north .
They may offer help ,advice and maybe some small amount of finance to an existing club who
want to buy an existing MOD range or mabe set one up from scratch . But that will be the limit .

The NRA needs every penny they can get with the MOD lease on Bisley coming up for renewal in a few years .
Apart from that there are probably a few pet projects at Bisley that they want to spend the money on .
Christel
Site Admin

#69 Post by Christel »

I know of a future range project where Ian Robertson is involved.

Advise is being sought and given.
MistAgain

#70 Post by MistAgain »

Christel wrote:I know of a future range project where Ian Robertson is involved.

Advise is being sought and given.
Good .
I am happy to be prooved wrong .