.357 GO NO GO gauges.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1

.357 GO NO GO gauges.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

If you wanted to check the head space on a lever gun do you have to use a different set of GO-NO GO gauges. My under lever wont close on a go or a no go gauge. Is this because the gauges are designed for use in bolt guns.
Alpha1

Re: .357 GO NO GO gauges.

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Just had a thought should I have removed the extractor.
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

.357 Go/No-Go gauges are the same regardless of the type of firearm, same as gauges for any other cartridge.

You'll need to remove the extractor as rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim and the extra rim thickness on the gauges will cause the extractor to foul and prevent the bolt closing.....rimmed rifle cartridges like .303 and 7.62x54r are the same.With the extractor removed I bet it will close on a Go gauge but it obviously shouldn't close on a No-Go......if it closes on a No-Go that's when you need a "Field" gauge.

One way of measuring your rifles actual headspace is to take an empty full length sized case and insert a fired primer. Using a die that has a decapping pin expander smaller than the ID of the case mouth, push the primer out of the primer pocket about .015" or so. To do that, place the case on top of, not in the shellholder.

Insert the case into the rifle and close the bolt. Remove and measure the length of the case over the primer and compare that to the length of the case.The difference between the two measurements is your rifles actual headspace.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

You probably know this already but one thing I'll add is when closing the bolt on a headspace gauge you use very light gentle pressure .....don't try to close the bolt like you are chambering a round!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

OK I will do that to morrow and see what sort of measurements I get.