Medical Cert charges

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Medical Cert charges

#11 Post by TattooedGun »

redcat wrote:So what does a doctor's letter say? That the last time he saw you, which in my case would be a number of years ago, you were not a raving looney and in his opinion you are OK to have firearms? Doctors make mistakes - I have seen that first hand. What happens when someone gets a doctor's letter, is granted their FAC and subsequently commits firearms crime? Is the doctor liable in any way?

Redcat
The letter just needs to be factual, note anything that may be of relevance, the last time they saw you, times before that, and anything that may be relevant to your physical or mental health that may be considered by those issuing a certificate (police). They're not passing a judgement on whether you are or not safe to own, just passing on your relevant health information to the police for them to make the decision.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#12 Post by Dark Skies »

It's just a crutch for the police to point at and say "well the doc said he was medically fit". 'Was' being the operative word'.
It's like the obligation for a car to have an MOT despite it being meaningless the moment it leaves the testing station.
I don't know why the police bother with this extra level of scapegoat - despite their major faux pas regarding background checks in the past (Hungerford and Dunblane) nobody was held accountable.
I assume that they hope if enough barriers are put in the way then people will eventually just give up / not bother with shooting sports.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
TattooedGun
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#13 Post by TattooedGun »

Dark Skies wrote:It's just a crutch for the police to point at and say "well the doc said he was medically fit". 'Was' being the operative word'.
It's like the obligation for a car to have an MOT despite it being meaningless the moment it leaves the testing station.
I don't know why the police bother with this extra level of scapegoat - despite their major faux pas regarding background checks in the past (Hungerford and Dunblane) nobody was held accountable.
I assume that they hope if enough barriers are put in the way then people will eventually just give up / not bother with shooting sports.
That's my guess...
redcat
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#14 Post by redcat »

Is the letter sent direct to the police or does the applicant have access to its contents?

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#15 Post by andy1979 »

I'm already doing my homework reading and watching lots of reviews and building my shopping list i'll know exactly what I want by the time my ticket comes through.

I'm just going to get the medical report and send it in with my application they are going to ask for one so i may as well just get it done now.

Andy
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#16 Post by IainWR »

redcat wrote:Is the letter sent direct to the police or does the applicant have access to its contents?

Redcat
To comment on both your points.

The GP is NOT required to comment on your fitness to hold firearms (unless you declared a relevant medical condition in which case a well-documented process is in place and being followed I understand). The GP is being asked to validate, from your medical record, the truth of your declaration that you do not have a diagnosis of any of the relevant medical conditions.

Data Protection legislation gives you the right to see any information your GP holds about you. So, given that you can use the law to force access to the communication, the surgery might as well send you a copy if you ask. I would ask to see the response before it goes to the police, just in case the medical style of writing might set unnecessary hares running when read by the police.