NSRA - Forced Membership

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: NSRA - Forced Membership

#11 Post by dromia »

hitchphil wrote:
But keep on slagging them & NRA etc off & talking them down..............
They all bring themselves down by their actions.

Insurance is another "national" body scam, I am in three national bodies and they all provide insurance so I am covered three times and pay three times but will only be able to make one claim.

If it wasn't for their own vested interest and isolationist positions you would have thought if they were really interested in helping their members then they would have arranged one over arching policy for all members and consequently a reduced cost for more than one "national" body membership.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#12 Post by FredB »

Like many target shooters, I started off in an indoor club which shot .22 prone rifle exclusively. I started a pistol section and completed a club instructers course with the NSRA.My club competed in local leagues and in NSRA comps, but the local comps were always considered more important. We had no individual NSRA members and saw no need for such. We gradually expanded and moved into full bore disciplines. In the early '70s (I think!---memory fades.) the NSRA sold a manificant building---the original Lord Roberts House--in the centre of London and moved to the collection of porta-cabins at Bisley which currently houses the CPSA. They made a substantial loss on the move!
A few years later, one the senior mangers retired early on grounds of ill health and his desk draw was found to stuffed with cheques which had never been cashed.
The NSRA has always suffered from poor financial managment and it appears that nothing has changed today: the story of Hut103 illustrates this. With this sort of track record, they will never pay off their debts. While the NRA may be unwilling to take them over and assume responsibility for the debt, they could very easily take over resposibility for the international and olympic competitions that the NSRA currently control----the NRA already run more small bore competitions than the NSRA do.
Fred
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#13 Post by Mattnall »

dromia wrote:...My small bore club switched from the NSRA to the NRA as it was cheaper and the insurance cover, the only reason for being a member of any "national" body anyway is way better.
Our club did the same. For a small club it saved us a lot of money.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by Ovenpaa »

RDC wrote:When was this communicated to NSRA Members / NRSA affiliated club secretaries?
26th November from memory

EDIT - Looks like it all kicked off on the 23rd

PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY, AS ISSUES ARE DISCUSSED THAT MAY DETERMINE THE FUTURE OF SMALL-BORE/AIR SHOOTING SPORTS IN THE UK.

Note from NSRA Shooting Council Meeting held at LRC, Bisley 23 November 2019 The key topic to be discussed at this meeting was how the NSRA would ensure its continued existence in the face of its current financial situation and its falling membership amongst small-bore/air shooters across the UK. Unfortunately, the NSRA Chief Executive, Ian Root has suffered serious injuries following a recent fall and was unable to attend.

The critical discussion on NSRA’s future was led by Dave Froggett – see below.

Agenda Items: Item 1 &2. Nothing to Minute Item 3. Minutes of last meeting were to have been assembled by Ian Root but due to his accident, they are not available. A volunteer was found in the NSRA Board to assemble Ian’s notes into a coherent document, which will be circulated when available.

NSRA also recognised that for many meeting cycles (years) Shooting Council meeting minutes have been slow to appear. In line with a new determination to “sort out NSRA”, future minutes will be produced/circulated to attendees within one month post-meeting (!).

A Matter Arising: The BoM thought it timely to review the current financial situation after the summer competitions: income from competitions was down £36000 compared to 2018 Income from affiliations was down £11000 from last year Other loses combine to a net downturn of £51000 compared to 2018 Bisley week was financially disastrous due to low entry numbers combined with the heavy range fee levied by NRA (an alternative location is being sought).

Lord Roberts Centre running costs continue to be a problem as the building gets older. This has all led to a short-term cash flow problem with an inability to pay outstanding debts. However, for this year only, cash flow will be restored by the sale of a small piece of property (‘Hut 60’). In the New Year, expected subscriptions will permit normal business in the short term.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#15 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

People who compete in archery have to pay a membership fee to their governing body to be able to do so and for some clay competitions you have to be a member of CPSA, so if you shoot small bore competitions then being a member of the NSRA would be in line with other organisations and disciplines. I might be wrong so please correct me if I am.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Ovenpaa

#16 Post by Ovenpaa »

I shoot a discipline called Bell Target, it is shot at 18 feet with a .177 Air rifle in a variety of locations such as pubs and clubs during the winter months. The discipline is aimed at people from all walks of life, of all ages and levels of mobility, basically as long as you can hold and point an air rifle safely you can compete. Right now our league charges £2.00/evening to cover consumables and £5.00 for insurance and we have youngsters and families competing very successfully. My view is it would be unfortunate if they each had to pay £35.00 per year for the 8 weeks they shoot.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

#17 Post by 1066 »

Ovenpaa wrote:I shoot a discipline called Bell Target, it is shot at 18 feet with a .177 Air rifle in a variety of locations such as pubs and clubs during the winter months. The discipline is aimed at people from all walks of life, of all ages and levels of mobility, basically as long as you can hold and point an air rifle safely you can compete. Right now our league charges £2.00/evening to cover consumables and £5.00 for insurance and we have youngsters and families competing very successfully. My view is it would be unfortunate if they each had to pay £35.00 per year for the 8 weeks they shoot.
Totally agree, and all these things add up with so many costs being duplicated. I'm sure many of us are members of more than one club, all with subs covering insurance. By the time you're an individual member of NRA, NSRA and a couple of clubs you're into £3-500 a year before you start shooting.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
RDC

#18 Post by RDC »

So when is it being decided on?
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#19 Post by Triffid »

Here's what the NSRA presented to the Shooting Council last month.

Worth looking at but I've no idea whether the Shooting Council gave it their approval. Clubs are supposed to be consulted on the proposal next year.

Triffid
jimbo303

#20 Post by jimbo303 »

I went over the Presentation - for what it is worth.
The entire proposal smacks of desperation, and that they have identified that they need to do something rather too late in the day.

Having read a fair bit on this and on other Forums, and noting the cost of a Tesco Loaf of Bread from their presentation - I would rather buy "Yellow Labelled" Stale Loaves than pay anything personally to support this chaotic bunch. A Telephone call last week about affiliation and Insurance renewal was met with the most unhelpful responses too. Far too busy to email when processed but renewal Pack will be with you when done was reply. So Insurance coverage after 31 December then ??? No answer to that question other than far too busy - well I suggest they consider having their extended Christmas Lunch after their busiest period has passed rather than the day before I finally managed to speak with them.

Coupled with 2 other serious issues I have had - one being the supply of Prize Ammunition from NSRA from an Eley Final - where I ended up having to go out of my way to collect from Eley directly, they have been a total and unadulterated shambles for far too long. And dont get me started on investiagtions into their claims that they could issue MOD recognised SCC's at a lower price than the NRA - that was an absolute corker of a claim........

I do not wish for any Governing Body for our Sport to be in financial difficulties or close to failing as we need a much representation as we can get, but the NSRA would be best winding up entirely and re-starting as a sub-division of the NRA in my personal view.

Prepared to be shot down as I hunker down on a Stale Sandwich........