XTR 12 AR Shotgun

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

XTR 12 AR Shotgun

#1 Post by Alan D »

Afternoon all.

Just cleared an area on my land for practical shotgun practice.

What's needed now is a suitable shotgun as my butler constantly complains about getting his penguin suit dirty while chasing after me reloading my Holland's.

So out with the old and in with the box fed AR goodness!
Anyone got an XTR12?
Very interesting gun and the initial issues have been sorted I believe.

Love to hear some feedback on the piece...
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: XTR 12 AR Shotgun

#2 Post by breacher »

Does it have to be AR type ?

Considered a VEPR 12 ?
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Blackstuff
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Most people I know have given up on them so I don't know what the current generation guns are like. I do know 3 people who run them very successfully but they the Gen1 guns and have basically replaced virtually every part other than the receivers for aftermarket, or even custom made parts.

Most people with the same budget go for a Typhoon F12 or Armsan RS S1.

If you can get away with AK style controls there's a very nice VEPR for sale on here
DVC
38Super
Home club or Range: FDPC

#4 Post by 38Super »

I've had a lot of discussions about the XTR 12 recently.

I haven't seen the Cottesloe Heath results yet but I expect you'll find find some XTR shooters at the top of the 'open' list.
I've been assured by one of them that he has changed very little on his Gen 1 regarding functioning. Quite a lot of 'go faster' kit have been added but that's personal choice.

I am convinced enough to get one. Hopefully very soon.
shellshokt
Home club or Range: KFC and TR&PC

#5 Post by shellshokt »

I had an XTR 12 gen 1 for about two years. It was a lovely gun and after the spring was replaced, firing pin, upgraded cocking handle, new bolt and carrier endless fettling with the feed ramp, it was never as reliable as the RSS1 I replaced it with. The RSS1 has only had cosmetic upgrades and so far in competition has not let me down. The same could not be said of the XTR 12. There are some fine shooters on here who have been very successful with their XTR12's, perhaps I was just unlucky.
"The older I grow the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom"
H.L.Mencken
38Super

#6 Post by 38Super »

I've found it impossible to find out why lots of people have had problems with the XTR and some people are clearly very successful with them. Maybe it is just the Turkish quality control lottery.
Alan D

#7 Post by Alan D »

Thanks for the input so far guys, I'm waiting out on this until I can give one a good working out.

The barrel length is off putting on all these AR and AK derivatives, it's a bit jarring when you first handle them, really spoils the look..
38Super

#8 Post by 38Super »

You don't really notice the barrel length when you're shooting except in really tight spaces. It's a small price to pay for detachabe magazines.

It's quite difficult to "try before you buy" with Section 1 shotguns. I got to try the Bora and loved it from the first shot. Tried the F12 and didn't so I'm taking the chance on an XTR.
Alan D

#9 Post by Alan D »

Shot the Bora and I also loved the AR controls that come naturally to anyone who's spent time on AR's, not impressed that you have to take the thing complely apart to properly clean it though ... Take the barrel off to get to the bolt group is nuts in my opinion.
38Super

#10 Post by 38Super »

Alan D wrote:Shot the Bora and I also loved the AR controls that come naturally to anyone who's spent time on AR's, not impressed that you have to take the thing complely apart to properly clean it though ... Take the barrel off to get to the bolt group is nuts in my opinion.
This is another plus for the UTAS.
TBH with my Bora the bolt just needs a wipe occasionally. It's the whole gas system that gets really dirty so needs the most cleaning anyway. I believe all the AR style box fed's operate with a similar mechanism based on an original system from tube guns. Only the XTR is different that I know of.