The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. PLEASE SEE POST IN NEWS ABOUT GDPR.
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

Post subject: SGC renewal Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:21 pm 

My SGC is up for renewal soon, I don’t currently have any shotguns on my cert and I am not planning to buy any guns anytime soon but I still want to keep my SGC as in the future it may be something I want to get back into. My question is do the police carry out another home visit/ cabinet inspection during the renewal process? The reason I ask is I sold the cabinet when I sold my last gun and I don’t really want to buy another just to not be used.

Many thanks

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: SGC renewal Question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:35 pm 

Home club or Range: NRA Bisley
One really useful thing a SGC allows you to do is borrow a gun from another SGC holder, and you can do that for up to 3 days with no paperwork at all. That in itself seems to me to be reason enough to have the SGC (it's the exact basis I have mine).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts, Grove Small Arms
Be mindful of the "no cabinet" situation. Fine to borrow a shotgun for the day, not to store.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: Mayfair Shooting Centre - Sunny Sunderland (The nicest place in Wearside/Pittington (PSG), 3 Counties Sporting Club - Ponteland (MOD Ranges), Leamside Clay Club, Various IPSC clubs around the country
You are going to be quizzed if you don't have a cabinet, there's no two ways about it. If you have a fellow SGC holder friend you could get their permission to say that if you did decide to buy a gun they would store it in their cabinet until you got your cabinet reinstalled and they might accept that?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MKPSG12?feature=mhee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 pm 
Site Supporter 2018

I wouldn’t bother with the renewal. Should you decide to come back to the sport, then apply for another certificate then.

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

Home club or Range: Springfield
On my last two renewals I've had visits. And those visits were much the same as the initial visit, same questions, paperwork and inspections.

I expect you'll have to discuss it with your FEO, they may grant your renewal on the condition that you install a cabinet before you purchase another shotgun. The guidance doesn't state that you MUST have a cabinet, only that it's the general easiest way to securely store.

if you're a member of a shooting body, give them a call and see what they suggest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:45 pm 

I think I will forget the renewal and just send back my SGC can’t really be bothered with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:52 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2016

Home club or Range: Harlow TAC
If you shoot with a friend's shotgun regularly get it added to your ticket, it is free and easy to do, just requires an email to the firearms dept to let them know.
This way it is his still but you can take it for as long as you like and as it will normally live with your friend you might get away without the need for a cabinet.

Good deals with Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.