So we've had 2 Enforcers, how about.......

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: So we've had 2 Enforcers, how about.......

#21 Post by GeeRam »

Alpin Sniper L42 A1 wrote: But i can deliver the serial number from my (Metropolitan Police London)-Rifle.. Mine's has a much lower serial number than this 663, by the way.
Likely a sub-50 number, as the Met got the first ones. I know some Met ones were in the 20's.

The person that first taught me to shoot rifles back in 1977 was one of the Met.Police firearms instructors and he had been in the team that deployed with the Enforcer's for the first time in UK during the Balcombe Street siege in Dec 1975.

I'm very jealous, as I would LOVE to own an ex-Met Police Enforcer.
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#22 Post by Lever357 »

I think the reason for the lighter bullet, according to my friend and he used to work in the ammunition industry, is that the rifling in the Enforcer barrel is quite shallow, it's not deep cut and therefore a heavier weight bullet could damage the rifling.

We shoot 147 grain GGG Nato ammunition with very good results from 100 to 600 yards.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Alpin Sniper L42 A1
Home club or Range: Diverse Shooting Clubs

#23 Post by Alpin Sniper L42 A1 »

GeeRam wrote:
Alpin Sniper L42 A1 wrote: But i can deliver the serial number from my (Metropolitan Police London)-Rifle.. Mine's has a much lower serial number than this 663, by the way.
Likely a sub-50 number, as the Met got the first ones. I know some Met ones were in the 20's.

The person that first taught me to shoot rifles back in 1977 was one of the Met.Police firearms instructors and he had been in the team that deployed with the Enforcer's for the first time in UK during the Balcombe Street siege in Dec 1975.

I'm very jealous, as I would LOVE to own an ex-Met Police Enforcer.
Hello GeeRam,

good consideration.. . It's one of the 12 from the 22th january 1974-delivery... . ;)

You had such a prominent instructor - oh ! :squirrel: Well, now I'm getting very jealous :good: :wave: I can't keep up with that
Attachments
Enforcer im Einsatz bei Sturm auf iranische Botschaft London 1980.jpg
Alpin Sniper L 42 A1
Alpin Sniper L42 A1

#24 Post by Alpin Sniper L42 A1 »

Lever357 wrote:I think the reason for the lighter bullet, according to my friend and he used to work in the ammunition industry, is that the rifling in the Enforcer barrel is quite shallow, it's not deep cut and therefore a heavier weight bullet could damage the rifling.

We shoot 147 grain GGG Nato ammunition with very good results from 100 to 600 yards.
Hello Lever357

A very interesting aspect. I never read this before.

Some of the Enforcers had Chordal rifling, true. Were there really such troubles ? Perhaps with a concrete factory ammo type ? I hope I'm wrong.. . any????

147 grain-ammo-600 yds and very good results - would it be too indiscrete asking for groupe sizes ? ;) thankssign
Attachments
Enfield Enforcer No. 172-Schussbild 200 Yards (RSAF-Zertifikat).jpg
Alpin Sniper L 42 A1
Andy

#25 Post by Andy »

The club I am in has 2 enforcers as club guns for probationers. I didn't realise they are rare.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#26 Post by Alpha1 »

One of the Clubs I am a member of uses enforcers to train probationers they are not used for anything else.
Lever357

#27 Post by Lever357 »

Andy wrote:The club I am in has 2 enforcers as club guns for probationers. I didn't realise they are rare.
Could you get me the numbers of the rifles please and I can pass them on to my friend who is collating a database of actual owners and rifles that survive. The club name and location would be useful too thank you.
Lever357

#28 Post by Lever357 »

Alpha1 wrote:One of the Clubs I am a member of uses enforcers to train probationers they are not used for anything else.
Could you get me the rifle number please and the club name and location so my friend can add it to his database of surviving rifles.
Andy

#29 Post by Andy »

Lever357 wrote:
Andy wrote:The club I am in has 2 enforcers as club guns for probationers. I didn't realise they are rare.
Could you get me the numbers of the rifles please and I can pass them on to my friend who is collating a database of actual owners and rifles that survive. The club name and location would be useful too thank you.
I can ask.
The club is tees valley target sports
Alpin Sniper L42 A1

#30 Post by Alpin Sniper L42 A1 »

Hello,

did a special type of bullet - and bullet weight - really damage the rifling ? I'm very interested in detailed experiences.. . ;)

Many thanks ! :good:

Greetings from Heidiland
Attachments
Lee-Enfield Sniper-Overview..jpg
Alpin Sniper L 42 A1