Remington 11-87 issue

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G

Remington 11-87 issue

#1 Post by Sim G »

Picked up a nice, used 1187 Premier Skeet. The bolt was a little difficult drawing back and a strip down showed that one leg of the link was broken. Rest of the gun was filthy so took the opportunity to give it a good clean whilst waiting for a new link and ordered a piston kit as well.

So, got the parts back, fitted them and the bolt is still difficult to draw back! Once locked open, and the carrier is pressed to release the bolt, it remains in the locked position with the carrier in the up position. A forward press on the bolt handle closes the bolt. It feels like the bolt is being impeded by the trigger group.

I took the trigger group out of the receiver so I could see if it was the new link. It’s not. The bolt moves back and forward freely and the link performs as it should. Looking at the trigger group, it doesn’t look as if anything is out of place with it but it seems that the bolt cannot be dragging on anything else. I can’t see what is impeding free bolt movement when the trigger group is in place, so any ideas? Anyone else had anything similar?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Remington 11-87 issue

#2 Post by mag41uk »

Have you had a look at the spring that goes into the tube in the stock and the wishbone thingy?
I have most of an 1187 from when I scrapped one a couple of years ago if you get stuck for parts.
Sim G

Re: Remington 11-87 issue

#3 Post by Sim G »

Hi Tony, yeah, the “wishbone” is the link that was replaced. With the trigger group removed the bolt can be operated and it’s as slick as snail snot! You can see that the link goes into the recoil tube nicely.

Have you got a complete trigger group spare?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!