7.62x51 NATO load data

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
@nd

7.62x51 NATO load data

#1 Post by @nd »

Hi all.
I am trying to replicate 7.62x51nato rounds for an 7.62 Enfield.
I have ggg brass and N140 powder and SMK 155gr bullets.
Any load data give will be worked up to checking for signs of pressure etc
Thanks Andrew
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: 7.62x51 NATO load data

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

Why not 147gr bullets?
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

Rog has a point, if you are trying to replicate a cartridge loading the bullet is probably the first thing to copy ;) if you just want to load for the rifle then the Viht load tables download is your best starting point.
@nd

#4 Post by @nd »

Thanks
Just been doing some research and 147gr is what I will use. I was under the impression that 155gr was the standard for NATO rounds.
Oddbod

#5 Post by Oddbod »

I've loaded 147's for use in both L1A1 & Ishapore 2A1 (basically an SMLE Mk III*) but using 43gr of IMR 4895.
POI was on par with NATO marked Hirtenberger & surplus Malaysian.
Accuracy was better than either.
ETA Brass used is once fired Indian military, so case volume is lower than commercial brass.
SevenSixTwo

#6 Post by SevenSixTwo »

@nd wrote:Thanks
Just been doing some research and 147gr is what I will use. I was under the impression that 155gr was the standard for NATO rounds.
Don't quote me but I think I read somewhere that 155gr was used for the LMT Sharpshooter.
"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

SevenSixTwo wrote: Don't quote me but I think I read somewhere that 155gr was used for the LMT Sharpshooter.

I’d be very surprised if Radway Green produced separate ammo for one weapon platform the way they did with “Green Spot” several decades ago.

Is it not the case that RG don’t even manufacture the components as they once did, but now only assemble ammunition from imported components?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
SevenSixTwo

#8 Post by SevenSixTwo »

"It's ok, it's just a train. On you get".
@nd

#9 Post by @nd »

Thanks all
Plenty to start with there. Good call on reaming.
Thanks
Andy RV

#10 Post by Andy RV »

Sim G wrote:
SevenSixTwo wrote: Don't quote me but I think I read somewhere that 155gr was used for the LMT Sharpshooter.

I’d be very surprised if Radway Green produced separate ammo for one weapon platform the way they did with “Green Spot” several decades ago.

Is it not the case that RG don’t even manufacture the components as they once did, but now only assemble ammunition from imported components?
They're using 155gr L59A1 'High Performance' in the Sharpshooter. There's some info on L59A1 here; https://www.baesystems.com/en/article/n ... ammunition

RG is certainly still manufacturing the metallic components and loading, I walk through the turnstiles 5 days a week so know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKS41dtGDS8