Doctors charging

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
phaedra1106

Re: Doctors charging

#11 Post by phaedra1106 »

In my sons case he had a declared condition, Aspergers Syndrome. Last time (2012/13) they just wrote to the GP who said there was nothing to tell them as none of the GPs at the practice have any real knowledge of ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorders). All he did was send them a copy of the consultant psychologists report I'd already gave them.

There was no charge by him and I only found about it when I spoke to the GP about this application going in last November.

This has been dragging on for about 8 years now, his first application was withdrawn when a GP (who'd only seen him for 5 mins about an ingrown toe nail when he was about 10) at out previous practice wrote he was violent and aggressive (absolute b@ll@cks). It took about 3 years to get a consultant psychiatrists report which clearly says he's neither of those things.

His last application back in 2012/13 was also withdrawn after they initially were going to refuse for violence & aggression, then read the report and asked us in for a "chat". 50 minutes with the head of firearms licensing (Chief Inspector Ball at the time) and at the end of it, despite my son answering all his questions perfectly, he announced that if we pushed it he would refuse because of "adaptive reasoning".

He couldn't give a single example of what that meant, or even say who had decided it, apparently it was someone they use who had read the report. Was this person more qualified than a consultant psychiatrist? no answer. On the way out of the interview I mentioned that I was aware of at least 3 FAC holders under Durham who were Autistic?, his reply was "Oh yes, I think I know who you mean, one of them has a job and I think another one is married" wallhead

Having spoken to the current firearms supervisor she was keen to reassure us that those days were behind them and that he should re-apply marking it for her personal attention. He's applied again and included the psychiatrists report and extremely supportive letters from each of his three shooting clubs.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Rockhopper

#12 Post by Rockhopper »

I believe Thames Valley are not processing grants or renewals until they get the Doctors letter. This was talked about on Countryfile a few weeks ago.
Most other forces write to the GP and if they get no response in 21 days they continue processing as normal. So if your GP writes asking for money don't pay it, the Police get no response and in 21 days continue processing as normal - unless you are in Thames Valley!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#13 Post by Dark Skies »

Rockhopper wrote:I believe Thames Valley are not processing grants or renewals until they get the Doctors letter. This was talked about on Countryfile a few weeks ago.
Most other forces write to the GP and if they get no response in 21 days they continue processing as normal. So if your GP writes asking for money don't pay it, the Police get no response and in 21 days continue processing as normal - unless you are in Thames Valley!
I wonder if Thames Valley are using this as a stalling tactic whilst they catch up on their deplorable backlog.?
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Plumose
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#14 Post by Plumose »

TV are probably using it as a stalling tactic, in the same way that it took them a month to acknowledge receiving my application
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

Plumose wrote:TV are probably using it as a stalling tactic, in the same way that it took them a month to acknowledge receiving my application
"What application?" :)
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sandgroper

#16 Post by Sandgroper »

Police Scotland's mantra is "No GP letter, no FAC/SGC."
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Plumose

#17 Post by Plumose »

The application that I stupidly sent first class mail rather than signed for.
The one they would have received in the first week of October, and I still haven't had a decision on nearly 3 weeks after the FEO visit.
Not that I am getting impatient or anything.

Back on topic, I declared my depression and the GP didn't charge anything.
Dahonis

#18 Post by Dahonis »

Plumose wrote:The application that I stupidly sent first class mail rather than signed for.
The one they would have received in the first week of October, and I still haven't had a decision on nearly 3 weeks after the FEO visit.
Not that I am getting impatient or anything.

Back on topic, I declared my depression and the GP didn't charge anything.
I had depression and anxiety, declared it, allowed to keep using my firearms during treatment.
The problems started once I was better and off the meds. 3 years down the line I'm being haunted for something that is sorted and behind me.
Licensing records were not updated after phone conversations and emails from me. Two years after I finished treatment I get a call asking how my medication is going??? No wonder some quacks are getting naffed off aaarggh
Dorset_shooter

#19 Post by Dorset_shooter »

phaedra1106 wrote:In my sons case he had a declared condition, Aspergers Syndrome. Last time (2012/13) they just wrote to the GP who said there was nothing to tell them as none of the GPs at the practice have any real knowledge of ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorders). All he did was send them a copy of the consultant psychologists report I'd already gave them.

There was no charge by him and I only found about it when I spoke to the GP about this application going in last November.

This has been dragging on for about 8 years now, his first application was withdrawn when a GP (who'd only seen him for 5 mins about an ingrown toe nail when he was about 10) at out previous practice wrote he was violent and aggressive (absolute b@ll@cks). It took about 3 years to get a consultant psychiatrists report which clearly says he's neither of those things.

His last application back in 2012/13 was also withdrawn after they initially were going to refuse for violence & aggression, then read the report and asked us in for a "chat". 50 minutes with the head of firearms licensing (Chief Inspector Ball at the time) and at the end of it, despite my son answering all his questions perfectly, he announced that if we pushed it he would refuse because of "adaptive reasoning".

He couldn't give a single example of what that meant, or even say who had decided it, apparently it was someone they use who had read the report. Was this person more qualified than a consultant psychiatrist? no answer. On the way out of the interview I mentioned that I was aware of at least 3 FAC holders under Durham who were Autistic?, his reply was "Oh yes, I think I know who you mean, one of them has a job and I think another one is married" wallhead

Having spoken to the current firearms supervisor she was keen to reassure us that those days were behind them and that he should re-apply marking it for her personal attention. He's applied again and included the psychiatrists report and extremely supportive letters from each of his three shooting clubs.

Some of this behaviour is disgusting, but nothing surprises me.

On another note, I am currently being held up by my GP.

He doesn't agree with personal firearm ownership, not that it should have any relevance.

I have had an anonymous tip off against to the police that I am having treatment for an alcohol related problem (this really isn't the case) now I have to defend myself against something I did NOT do.

My GP can't understand how I haven't been to see the doctor in 7 years, how is it possible someone isn't ill????

If I didn't really love this sport I would have chucked the towel in along time ago.
Plumose

#20 Post by Plumose »

I was lucky that my GP felt that me going out to the club is good for my depression