Editing posts

This is where our forum rules and regulations can be found, please adhere.
All new members dive in here and read the content before posting, please :)
The forum contact email is admin(at)full-bore.co.uk or dromia(at)full-bore.co.uk
OUR PRIVACY POLICY CAN BE FOUND IN HERE.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Editing posts

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Or use the preview function.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

It works its a fun gun if you want to know anything about them google it.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#13 Post by TRG-22 »

christel wrote:5mins is enough to change a mistake.
It's not.

More than once I've started to correct, or add something germane, to a post I've just made, so within the 5 minutes, only for the time to expire and find that submit doesn't work.

And once, (so far ) I've posted factually incorrect information which wasn't picked up until way after the 5 minutes, or even the old 20 minute limit, which I would have loved to have put right to avoid confusing anybody in the future who didn't read on and see the later post with the correct info.

I've used other forums with no time limit at all on edits,and it never seemed to cause problems.
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#14 Post by Mattnall »

Remember to proof read before you post when you are ranting on the internet.

You can always go back to the fora that have no limits.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha1 wrote:...But what the heck no big deal. In future I will just keep my opinions to myself. If you want to know anything about them . Buy one.
That attitude is simply self defeating in my opinion.

This forum has been around since 2010 so a good few years of information including historical sales data and reviews that change with time. Deleting and to a degree editing original content simply means we all loose. If it really is that important ask an Admin. Or do as I do, add a post starting EDIT - and I do that whilst living with one of the Admin team. I often look back at my posts and cringe at my spelling or syntax, however I just live with it.

It is a bit like the 'How do I reload for a .223' or 'What is the best reloading kit to start with' have both been answered many times however the answers change subtly with time. Powder that were go-to in 2010 are often long since gone due to REACH compliance and scales, dies and trimming tools change with time. So telling a person to do a search is not always the best solution, more importantly they may not know how to, or are looking for updated answerers which is why they ask.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rox

#16 Post by rox »

I need to move my image hosting; I'd like to edit some old posts so the images don't go blank. Can that be arranged?

Alpha1

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

I dont understand why people use picture hosting sites for this very reason. All my pictures going back many years are in folders on an external hard drive. If I want to post a picture I just up load it to the forum. My pictures are all ways available to view on a forum . If not I can just re upload in about 60 seconds.I can also easily edit them before posting.
But whatever floats your boat I guess.
If I want to take a picture off a forum it does not need to be one of mine just a picture of interest. I create a folder on my desk top then copy the picture into it.
Simple.
rox

#18 Post by rox »

Alpha1 wrote:I dont understand why people use picture hosting sites for this very reason.
Because I can use whatever size, quality and resolution image I want (and without burdening the forum servers' storage and bandwidth).
IIRC until recently only quite small images could be uploaded directly.
And I'm not using thirdy party image hosting sites that could disappear, I'm using my own servers.
Alpha1 wrote:I can also easily edit them before posting.
I can update the image after the post, e.g. after optimising a RAW image at home, having initially posted the quick and dirty JPEG from the range.
You've argued strongly that you want to be able to edit posts, yet for images you say "I can also easily edit them before posting". Why the difference?
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

rox wrote:I need to move my image hosting; I'd like to edit some old posts so the images don't go blank. Can that be arranged?

Good luck with that.

Like I said whatever floats your boat.
TRG-22
Home club or Range: Make me an offer.

#20 Post by TRG-22 »

Mattnall wrote:Remember to proof read before you post when you are ranting on the internet.
I've not been ranting, and at least some of the edits I've wanted to make have not been to do with spelling, grammar etc.

You can always go back to the fora that have no limits.
Surely you don't think that it's impossible for other ways of doing things to ever be better? On a personal level, when did you stop learning, for example?

In an extant topic on the time limit for editing, a limit BTW which is not universally accepted as a good thing, why is mentioning my experience of forums where there is no limit such a bad thing?

If someone were to complain about the way our mess of separate train operating and infrastructure companies was working and suggest that we could do it better, would you say "you could always move to Germany"?
Tory voters. Next election. Stay at home. Protect the NHS. Save lives.