Armtac RS-1 Shotgun.....it's a Saiga!!!

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

zoomin
Home club or Range: wnsc

Re: Armtac RS-1 Shotgun.....it's a Saiga!!!

#31 Post by zoomin »

I have had a go on one and will be buying one as soon as the magazines are available. saiga 10 round promags will work but need a slight mod.
zoomin
Home club or Range: wnsc

#32 Post by zoomin »

I thought the ejection port snapping off was on a typhoon f12 not a rs-1?
Blackstuff

#33 Post by Blackstuff »

The F12 doesn't have anything to snap off there, there is no port/dust cover, just the side of the bolt/carrier
DVC
gasman
Home club or Range: worcester norton

#34 Post by gasman »

hi, ive had an Armsan RS S1 since september, have put about 2000 cartridges through it. it takes most 28gram 7.5/8/9 loads, 29/30 gram 6's , but they do need a bit of ooomph to reliably cycle it, as the bolt return spring is quite strong, so doubt if it would run 24/21 gram .would most likely stovepipe continually.
i,ve run Eley Alphamax 36gm oo buck & saga oo buck through it and geko 28 gm coated slug without a hitch.
It is a Turkish built Saiga model 030 clone, which is the latest design from saiga. it has more Vepr type features than the old saigas, such as last round bolt hold open, a picatinny rail under the gas block and one on top of the receiver. the old saiga mags wont fit without filing off the front lug on the mag, whereas Vepr 12 mags click in no problem.
the stock isn't folding,its M4 style, but you can slide it in/out to adjust LOP. interestingly it looks same as fitted to the Typhoon F12, they obviously use same supplier.
i,ve managed to import and fit several Russian /USA upgrade parts as well. if it states will fit Vepr 12 (205) /Saiga 030 it will probably fit the RS S1.(ambi safety/extended mag release, gas puk, AK type pistol grip.)
the barrel is Uk legal 24". you get factory supplied extended ported chokes & flush fit internal chokes, which are of the Beretta Mobil type, so you can easily buy aftermarket ones such as Teague etc.
Any muzzle break would need to be clamp on type, as NO external thread, and you would need to use flush fitting chokes only.
the Typhoon F12 clamp on break should fit,(chesire Gun rooms, £100 )as same barrel diameter. (i measured using vernier caliper on a mates.)
I,m in process of getting a gunsmith to convert a Molot GK03 (VEPR ) break to clamp on my RS S1
this will need a extended choke removal key, so made one already out of aluminium rod & magnets to aid choke removal .
The gun comes with a 3 YEAR WARRANTY which is good, hopefully won't need to call upon it, plus my next mod will probably void it, as want to fit a Dissident Arms style 16" front slotted forearm, but you have to either remove gas block & slide forearm retainer bracket off, or cut it off !! to fit the forearm. the gas block retaining pins are apparently a pig to take out, so i reckon the junior hacksaw will need to be deployed !!
Watch this space.
Attachments
dissident arms forearm.jpg
_20171116_162210.JPG
media_upload1_1512855426585.jpg
Blackstuff

#35 Post by Blackstuff »

If you manage to get a Dissendent Arms type handguard to fit properly I think sales of the RS1 will increase dramatically, i'd be very tempted myself so please keep us up to date! :good:
DVC
gasman

#36 Post by gasman »

will keep you posted on further improvements/upgrades .watch this space.
gasman

#37 Post by gasman »

HEADS UP guys, the factory RS -S1 10 round magazines are now in stock and at the Dealers. grabbed 2 myself Saturday.
Blackstuff

#38 Post by Blackstuff »

I 'saw' ( ;) ) one in action at the weekend and was impressed. It was tried with 4-5 different brands of cartridge for a total of around 200 cartridges and aside from Eley First it chewed its way through them all. The mags are buttery smooth to load and although £60 a throw, are a definite plus point on the gun. They are much lighter than the BR99/MKA1919/F12/UTAS mags and have no snagging points for getting out/putting into pouches if that's how you carry your mags.

The safety catch and mag release certainly require some work/aftermarket parts to be used for high level competition purposes but on the whole it looks like a sound gun for PSG.

One thing to check however is the orientation of the front sight/gas block as some have been produced skewed (i.e. not set at the 12 o'clock position) and that can cause problems with the gas systems operation. If you go to look at/collect an RS1 be sure to check it. If you notice anything out of square make sure you tell the shop you're buying it from. The reason my friend was able to buy 6 spare magazines when they were seemingly out of stock everywhere was because an RFD had bought a batch of RS1s each with a spare mag but then entire batch had to be returned because of the gas block orientation issue :bad: Hopefully this will be addressed properly in further batches

Even though the barrel is still way longer than i'd personally prefer for this design gun, it certainly looks better than the 27" barrels on the Russian guns, and dare I say it, it doesn't NEED a longer handguard to make it look 'right'... I would still want one if I bought an RS1 though.
DVC
Gazza

#39 Post by Gazza »

Blackstuff wrote:
One thing to check however is the orientation of the front sight/gas block as some have been produced skewed (i.e. not set at the 12 o'clock position) and that can cause problems with the gas systems operation. If you go to look at/collect an RS1 be sure to check it. If you notice anything out of square make sure you tell the shop you're buying it from. The reason my friend was able to buy 6 spare magazines when they were seemingly out of stock everywhere was because an RFD had bought a batch of RS1s each with a spare mag but then entire batch had to be returned because of the gas block orientation issue :bad: Hopefully this will be addressed properly in further batches
I was told exactly this on Saturday by an RFD who has sent the whole batch back. Accuracy with slug was terrible, 4 ft off target at 25 yds.
When he sent the batch back he was told he was the only RFD to complain about it! lol
Dellboy
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#40 Post by Dellboy »

Not the best thing to buy S/H then without testing it .....
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.