Switch barrel rifles anyone?

Anything Fullbore rifle related, Hunting, Target, Match.

Moderator: dromia

tikkathreebarrels

Re: Switch barrel rifles anyone?

#21 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

ovenpaa wrote:What is the action and is it single or mag feed and if mag what is the longest length it will take? I am inclined to say 6,5-284 or even the humble 6,5x55 in AI format however OAL may be an issue . One of the lads at the range was doing well with a .260 Rem the other day.
It's just a remmy short action with the slightly awkward blind box mag. I did get a single feed ramp but I still tend to load the mag when foxing, otherwise I'm a single feeder. I'll have a look in a bit what the longest COL it might take is but I think you'll find that 6.5 x 55 is not 308 bolt head.

I suppose I could neck up 6br to 6.5 or 7mm? The 260 - what distances was that going to?
Ovenpaa

#22 Post by Ovenpaa »

tikkathreebarrels wrote: It's just a remmy short action with the slightly awkward blind box mag. I did get a single feed ramp but I still tend to load the mag when foxing, otherwise I'm a single feeder. I'll have a look in a bit what the longest COL it might take is but I think you'll find that 6.5 x 55 is not 308 bolt head.

I suppose I could neck up 6br to 6.5 or 7mm? The 260 - what distances was that going to?
Oops yes the 6.5x55 has a slightly larger boltface, no idea what made me think they were the same. The .260 was working to 1200 yards on a warm day with 139's the 6.5-284 will certainly get to 1200

The 260 is a .308 necked down to 6.5 so will certainly fit length wise as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G

#23 Post by Sim G »

6.5 Creedmore. Could be the next best thing for long range/tactical. Designed by Hornady, .308 bolt head and COL.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
tikkathreebarrels

#24 Post by tikkathreebarrels »

Sim G wrote:6.5 Creedmore. Could be the next best thing for long range/tactical. Designed by Hornady, .308 bolt head and COL.
Hands on experience or read about it please?