Pistols

Anything muzzle loading in here. Old and new, rifles, shotguns, pistols and even cannons!

Moderator: dromia

douglas670

Pistols

#1 Post by douglas670 »

Hi all,
just a query about a reasonable priced second hand if need be Black powder pistol.

Not really caring about accuracy although might help, but was thinking along the lines of something that wouldnt rattle to bits/come loose etc etc.
I was intending of going for an American Civil war type namely the percussion colt walker, or navy models, are any makes better than others or what to avoid and is either the .44 or .36 favoured,?.
sorry for all the questions just trying to gage what make/type calibre to go for.
having given my black powder license up would be using pyrodex powders.
any help info greatly appreciated
Douglass
Dangermouse

Re: Pistols

#2 Post by Dangermouse »

Sorry, know next to nothing about these other than they are noisy and messy with the possibility of being dangerous - other than the obvious - if you don't do everything correctly.

I had a go on an introduction day once and the conversation went along the lines of,
"If you pull the trigger and it does not go bang, keep it on target for about half a minute then put it on the table and we will sort it out"

And then as I raised it to take a shot,

"And we should probably warn you that once in a blue moon there will be a chamber fire were all 6 chambers will fire at the same time, in which case it will explode"

I only fired it the once,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Robin128

#3 Post by Robin128 »

And that's the attitude of the inept who do nothing for our great sport of black powder shooting DM. Shot BP for years, followed sensible informed advice and never ever had a problem...great fun, just do it, douglas670!

Had a Uberti Remington 1868 in 44.

Not having a pop at you DM, just the plonker that advised you and obviously gave you the wrong impression.

:)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

BP is just reloading at the shooting line rather than at home.

Clean up is easy, boiling water. dry and oil.

The Walker is a heavy gun but can take pokey loads, the rammer lever drops down after firing and I found this irritating.

The Dragoons are good pistols and I shot a second model for many years withh good effect but found it needed to be driven hard for accuracy.

The Remington New Army's are probably better pistols being full frame and the Ruger old Army sets the standards for BP revolvers even if it isn't a copy of an original.

Personaly I prefer the Rogers and Spencer as the gip fits me better.

Calibre, I would go for .36" accurate and uses less powder and a smaller ball therfore less recoil, but if you want oomph then any of the big 44s will give you that.

Use BP as I find 777 expensive and prone to pressure spiking in some situations especially compression, Pyrodex is even more hygroscopic than BP.

You pays your money and you takes your choice

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Dangermouse

#5 Post by Dangermouse »

Robin,
No worries with the kicking, I did not mean for my post to come across as anti Black Powder.

As it happens the guy who was instructing me on the day is a great advocate of BP shooting and the comments were made totally in the "Black Humour" style that we coppers are known for.

The Police Sport UK games in September has a good selection of BP competitions available should anyone be interested.

Personally I support everyones right to shoot whatever legal firearms they wish, and I am very aware of not allowing our sport to become divided less we become conquered.

Having said that it is still not to my taste and twice now I have retreated from a quiet afternoons plinking with my .22 when BP shooters have turned up and changed the atmosphere.
And for some reason the smoke gives me painful spots around my nose? Go figure,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have shot BP in the past and still have some under lock and key but I doubt I will return to it any time soon unless it was something like the rifle Krish shoots and I would need to sell my daughter to fund such a thing, I suspect her fiancée would have something to say about it as well. Hmm... well he does like guns so I could be OK :D

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... loh#p26609

I was on SS one sunny morning next to some BP rifle shooters, they were a very cheerful bunch with a lot of banter and one told me he always paused for a moment before pulling the trigger, he said it was always a good sign if after it went bang and you could still see, and even better if the frame went down. They were scarily accurate things at 100m
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

from Dangermouse ... And for some reason the smoke gives me painful spots around my nose?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Robin128

#8 Post by Robin128 »

Protective eye wear a must.

:)
Dougan

#10 Post by Dougan »

If I had more time I'd like to try a bit of BP pistol, but I do think you have to be careful - I RO'd a BP pistol comp...one shooter (who is very competent) had his remaining 4 shots all go off at once - one 'half bullet' bounced back off a piece of baton on the wall, and hit him on the arm (no injury fortunatly). Another shooter, who had just got a new pistol, was getting all misfires, and on removal of the chamber couldn't get the caps off - after a few seconds of watching him try and get them off with a screwdriver, I managed to convince him to let me put the chamber in a bucket of water before he continued. So I think there'ye cool, but need operating with care...and preferably outdoors.