Bumped off Melville

A section for general discussion covering all of our national shooting organisations.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
The National Body General Discussion section is exactly that, a section for all of us to discuss the National Bodies and what they are up to.

Please bear in mind that this is an open forum and your posts can be read by all members. If you are in a position that can be compromised by what you are saying on here because someone takes offense and tells your colleagues or your sponsor and that in turn means you are being punished for your posts on here, think before you post!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Bumped off Melville

#1 Post by shugie »

Anyone got any idea why my club might have been moved from Melville to Century this weekend, and Melville to Short Siberia next month. It's a real pain as we tend to prefer to shoot on Melville in the winter for obvious reasons, and we've had way too many visits to 100 yds this year.

Who does one winge at about this?
Careful now/that sort of thing
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Bumped off Melville

#2 Post by mag41uk »

Not sure I understand as Melville is only 50m.
Ask the range office why.
shugie
Past Supporter

#3 Post by shugie »

You can shoot 25m on Melville if you don't mind standing out in the rain.

Turned out it was confusion over bookings not being bumped, so apologies to the NRA range office
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

and we thought this thread was going to be a murder mystery whodunnit...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
alexham

#5 Post by alexham »

shugie wrote:Anyone got any idea why my club might have been moved from Melville to Century this weekend, and Melville to Short Siberia next month. It's a real pain as we tend to prefer to shoot on Melville in the winter for obvious reasons, and we've had way too many visits to 100 yds this year.

Who does one winge at about this?
I don't know the circumstances of this case, but as a general rule you whinge to whoever tells you of the unexpected changes. I suspect that it was the range office, so tell them first. The staff at the range office and elsewhere within NRA are all new and they are not aware of the implications of their actions. To them a target at 200yds on Short Siberia is no different to the target at 200yds on Century. They have probably never been to either and do not know that the target on Century involves a long trudge of over 1200yds to and from the butts and that the targetry requires to strong men to work!! To them they are just two same targets with different "numbers"!

By the way, you can shoot at 25yds on Melville, because all bays, except A, have target midway.

Alex
shugie
Past Supporter

#6 Post by shugie »

They aren't all new, some of them have been there for a while now. But in this case it wasn't their fault.

But the targets on Century are hard work, think I nearly gave myself a hernia working 101 yesterday morning.
alexham

#7 Post by alexham »

shugie wrote: But the targets on Century are hard work, think I nearly gave myself a hernia working 101 yesterday morning.
Agreed and I fear that we may have to put up with it. Even if you pay for markers, the rate of fire is severely limited by the speed at which the markers can work. I refuse to mark on Century unless another shooters marks with me. I am told that it would be relatively easy to install electric motors with up/down switches, but nothing is planned about that yet.
shugie
Past Supporter

#8 Post by shugie »

Never mind electric motors, a bit more care in the balancing would go a long way to help.