Distance Sales Sticky

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Distance Sales Sticky

#121 Post by mag41uk »

Christel wrote:If the RFD pays for it then it is regarded as a deposit which is not allowed without a slot.

Until there is a slot there is nothing anyone can do.
Presumably the RFD can just buy it from me. He/she can do with it whatever they want then.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#122 Post by Blackstuff »

In my experience it has never worked that way, rightly or wrongly. I've seen multiple examples first and second hand of a deposit been taken on to-be-constructed guns (i don't think many gunsmiths would start a project without it 5mith ) and guns which are available and for sale being 'reserved' by way of deposit. Realistically its the only way it can work? :run:
DVC
Christel
Site Admin

#123 Post by Christel »

I do not agree that realistically that is the only way it can work.

Law clearly states, no slot, no deposit.

The RFD can buy it off you, then he is the one who transfer the gun to the buyer's certificate.

However I do not know of many RFDs who will buy a gun they may or may not be able to sell - there is no guarantee the buyer will get the relevant slot.

Why commission a gun you have no slot for?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#124 Post by Blackstuff »

Well the number one reason I can think of is FLD delay times! teanews teanews teanews

N.B. For clarity, the way it 'working' in my post was referencing just custom/not yet built guns and 'reserving' guns, not all types of transactions.
DVC
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#125 Post by Pete »

I'm having a "deja view" episode here..........years ago, an RFD (now sadly deceased) bought a rifle on my behalf, ie I told him I'd found a rifle and gave him the contact details and the cash, he bought it and sat on it until my slot arrived. Around the same time, I put a deposit on a rifle in a well-known gun shop, and collected and paid the balance when the slot arrived a week or two later.
Anyone know when this became illegal?
I imagine it was quite a blow to the gun trade...

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#126 Post by dromia »

It has always been illegal however the custom and practice has been different.

I am not sure exactly this came about but I seem to recall the GTA seeking clarity on the laws interpretation as some RFD's were concerned of breaking the law by aiding and abetting people without authority to purchase firearms, the outcome was this agreed interpretation of the law 'tween the trade and the Firearms Certification departments.

I am doing this from memory so not really reliable but I am sure if you go through this thread your question has been covered.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/