Bisley fire forming

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa

Bisley fire forming

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

05:45 saw us heading towards the motorway for the drive down to Bisley, did I say I dislike the M1/M25, well I do, no matter how many times I drive those roads I will never enjoy it other than at 03:00 on a Sunday morning.

Bisley is a great place first thing in the morning and I spent a pleasant 15 minutes watching the Bullfinches and Swifts at the short end of Century and even spotted a Jay milling around. No Deer this time.

The plan was to fireform brass, chrono and run a ladder load at 200 yards on Century, unfortunately we had to go to Siberia 200 so no chance to chrono as the FP is on a raised bank. The good news is 19/24 new cases went bang this time which means I have enough brass for the weekend, guess I should have built them even longer, I had a .020" jam and thinking about it .030" would have been better.

Ladder wise I need to look at the target again but in my own mind there looks to be a sweet spot where 3 shots in .2 grain increments were touching so I guess that somewhere around these will be the weekends load. I notice these new Hybrids despite having a higher BC seem to have a lower POI however I was also shooting without a muzzle brake which is going to make a difference. Luckily first round Saturday is 400 yards so first two shots should confirm my drops.

The Viking picked up the wooden stocked thing today so I nailed a 'scope on top and we took it to Zero to erm zero, chrono and start the shooting in. At least we could chrono this time and got some good data with the 139's and N560. I have a feeling it is going to be an accurate rifle and we need to get out to at least 300 now just to confirm everything is as good as it appears.

Now we just have to clean three rifles, clean and prepare 110 cases and it is time to relax 8-)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
rox

Re: Bisley fire forming

#2 Post by rox »

Chrono didn't attack this time?
20series
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

rox wrote:Chrono didn't attack this time?
That was where I was heading!!! :lol: :lol:

Good to hear you got on OK and Christel picked up her new toy!

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

rox wrote:Chrono didn't attack this time?
It kept it's distance so I opted not to shoot it. DangerMouse very kindly dropped it and some other goodies off this morning (Many thanks DM) I think the sooner I get it back to his safe keeping the better. Heather also called over to Siberia which was nice.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
John25

#5 Post by John25 »

[ quote]so I nailed a 'scope on top[/quote]

What size nails did you use?

I prefer a good screw and plenty of lok-tite! :D
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

John25 wrote:[ quote]so I nailed a 'scope on top
What size nails did you use?

I prefer a good screw and plenty of lok-tite! :D[/quote] Is this a euphemism? No more nails is the way to go ;) BTW - I see your name is still on some notices in the range office :D
/d

Shed Journal
John25

#7 Post by John25 »

You know that it takes years to get things changed at Bisley.

Perhaps the notice is still relevant?

Anyway, it all comes to a stop in September when, according to Dr. Pizer, I shall be too old to be of any further use to the NRA/NSC.

Any further comment could possibly be construed as disloyal? :?
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Rifleman798

#8 Post by Rifleman798 »

Glad you had a productive day. Gutted I couldnt make it but thats life. Best of luck for the Weekend.

James
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

John25 wrote:Anyway, it all comes to a stop in September when, according to Dr. Pizer, I shall be too old to be of any further use to the NRA/NSC.

Any further comment could possibly be construed as disloyal? :?
Yes the notice was still relevant. Poor James was taking hell from people over the pay before you shoot thing, I have long suspected that the NSC looses a fair amount of cash to non paying shooters and people failing to show so if this tightens things up and brings payment in a reasonable time then all well and good.

...and Dr Pizer is how old exactly, 68-69 maybe?
/d

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#10 Post by Mike357 »

I am surprised that there wasn't more of a whoopwhoop over the S&L. You didn't even say you liked it! :lol: :lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!