poor mans shotgun slugs

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: poor mans shotgun slugs

#11 Post by dromia »

Sheltered upbringing. :(

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sandgroper

#12 Post by Sandgroper »

dromia wrote:Shotgun Slug, Section 1 FAC permissions needed.
They may perform as a shotgun slug, but I suppose "technically" they're not a slug round as it's still filled with shot?

"Constable, what do mean the whole box is like that! I never noticed when I loaded, it must be a faulty batch!" :oops:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Chuck

#13 Post by Chuck »

They ARE shotshells, slug is solid - shotshells are NOT. You could claim they were defective and you were just firing them off......

Beauty is you can do them any time, just as long as you use a non locking penknife with a wee blade less that 3"..or whatever...

Sandgroper, yes, I am bad eh LOL. Cylinder /true bore methinks for these...
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Robin128

#14 Post by Robin128 »

Tut!

:(
Chuck

#15 Post by Chuck »

TUT????????????? WHIT????? :roll:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Chapuis

#16 Post by Chapuis »

Cutting the cases of shotgun cartridges is a very old idea and a potentially a very dangerous one at that. The idea was one of the desperate measures advocated in pamphlets distributed to the L.D.V. (local deference volunteers – forerunners of the Home Guard) for thwarting Nazi paratroopers and tanks during the darker days of the second world war. I believe that it was even suggested at that time that it may have been necessary to cut back shotgun barrels so as to remove the choked section of barrel and make the passage of the load “safer”. Goodness knows how many good shotguns were ruined in order to facilitate such a practise. At the same time Eley or Kynoch produced millions of “Home Guard” loads of solid ball which were very undersized so that they could be fired in virtually any shotgun. Accuracy with these loads was very poor .
Our American cousins are generally better equipped to try such stunts as the majority of shotgun barrels in the U.S. are much thicker than European barrels and are more akin to gas pipes than the much thinner barrels most of us have on our guns.
25Pdr

#17 Post by 25Pdr »

Just measured a 12G Cartidge.....It comes in at 0.785" O/D. Assuming a Cylinder barrel is 0.730, a look at the following means that firing the front of a complete round through a full choked barrel, it will have to pass through a diameter of 0.685". A reduction of 0.10". Not Good :roll:

Sandgroper

#18 Post by Sandgroper »

If I remember correctly, they were firing the 12g cut shells through a modified barrel (0.710).
I wouldn't be trying it through anything smaller.

As Chapuis said,
Our American cousins are generally better equipped to try such stunts as the majority of shotgun barrels in the U.S. are much thicker than European barrels and are more akin to gas pipes than the much thinner barrels most of us have on our guns.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Polchraine

#19 Post by Polchraine »

Sandgroper wrote:If I remember correctly, they were firing the 12g cut shells through a modified barrel (0.710).
I wouldn't be trying it through anything smaller.

As Chapuis said,
Even through a modified .710 there is still a large amount of compression needed. Have you ever tried compressing a cartridge in all directions? There is nowhere for the plastic case to go ...

Until I see it demonstrated successfully, with my own eyes - no way.

However, take the front end of the case away, and wrap the pellets in masking tape or heatshrink tube so that the overall diameter is reduced from .785 to around .73 and it possibly becomes more viable and safer.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Chapuis

#20 Post by Chapuis »

I've seen it demonstrated many years ago through a Lanber O/U but there is no way will I be putting any through my Lanber.