Cowboy Action Shooting - Sub Section on Forum

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
qws
Home club or Range: BWSS Member, North Cotes Butts

Cowboy Action Shooting - Sub Section on Forum

#1 Post by qws »

Hi, All CAS Shooters, I am trying to get an official sub section on the forum under everything shooting for "Cowboy Action Shooting". I passed the suggestion via "Dromia" who said it is possible as long as we get enough traction as he called it ie: Posts and interest. So I am going to start a few topics and see what comes.

So come on anyone interested in CAS, members of the BWSS (British Western Shooting Society)
http://www.bwss.co.uk/

or the USA SASS (Single Action Shooting Society)
http://www.sassnet.com/

post your thoughts and any info you have so we can be represented as a group on the main Full Bore Forum.

BWSS (alias Lefty)
Remington .44 1858 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Cattlemen .44 1873 (Nitro) 5.5" x2
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Uberti Winchester 1873 20"
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

Re: Cowboy Action Shooting - Sub Section on Forum

#2 Post by nickb834 »

It does look like good fun - would love a shorty hammer gun and an underlever shotty whilst we're at it.

I see there's a club not far from Keighley - might have to look into this a bit more seriously.....
qws

#3 Post by qws »

nickb834 wrote:It does look like good fun - would love a shorty hammer gun and an underlever shotty whilst we're at it.

I see there's a club not far from Keighley - might have to look into this a bit more seriously.....
I am always happy to loan my guns for anyone to have a go. I just need to know if you are attending the meeting so I have enough ammo.
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#4 Post by saddler »

qws wrote:
nickb834 wrote:It does look like good fun - would love a shorty hammer gun and an underlever shotty whilst we're at it.

I am always happy to loan my guns for anyone to have a go. I just need to know if you are attending the meeting so I have enough ammo.
I'm guessing your loan guns are not S.1 shotguns?

I've got a nice Tula hammer sxs that would be ideal for BWSS/CASS type events, plus could be loaned to new folk - as well as a S.1 1897 that couldn't be loaned (but no desire to have it crimped to two shot)
Also got a period correct Winchester Model 12 on S.2

No sixguns left though!
Any shotgun (or shotgun/rifle) only events planned?

....and do we all have to dress up like Blackstuff's favourite from Village People?

As a long time fan of the TV show Deadwood I can confirm that I have the terminology memorised
(& the breaking news is a Deadwood MOVIE is in the works!!!)
qws

#5 Post by qws »

Yes, No S1 Shotguns, but sure others will have S2 for loan during the comp.

Dressing up for me will be: Hat, Jeans, check / plain shirt and my normal Chelsea boots. So no fancy stuff. Just want to enjoy a fun days shooting 3 gun. Just confirmed the order in the USA for my double pistol rig, cartridge belt and trouser ranger belt, as much as buying another gun.

But a Man's Gotta do want a Man's Gotta do

Lefty
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#6 Post by saddler »

....may have to post an advert too: being a full-time leatherworker I'm familiar with CORRECT holsters (does anyone showing up with a Hollywood style rig get de-bagged & radished?) plus ranger belts, cartridge belts, ammunition sliders, etc. All hand-sewn as they should be!
qws

#7 Post by qws »

saddler wrote:....may have to post an advert too: being a full-time leatherworker I'm familiar with CORRECT holsters (does anyone showing up with a Hollywood style rig get de-bagged & radished?) plus ranger belts, cartridge belts, ammunition sliders, etc. All hand-sewn as they should be!
Saddler, I understand the rule is prior to 1899, so Hollywood Style is wrong, but I think some club allow. Strict SASS and BWSS the hip high holsters are the correct way to go.

So do an advert and show some images of your work.

BWSS Lefty
Ruger .45 OA 5.5" x2
Marlin 1894CSS JM Marked
Huglu 12g Coach Gun
1897 Winchester 12g
1887 Winchester 12g
1911 LBP
Sig Sauer 522 SWAT
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#8 Post by dromia »

Lets keep this on Jon's Vendors and Innovators section.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Sim G

#9 Post by Sim G »

Innovator? He's got some dead cow skin and a needle and thread and a book with some pictures of Cowboys in it (YMCA type)...

If he lost a couple of pound and grew a better moustache, he could be a dead ringer for my other in law, but innovator......?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

Sim G wrote:Innovator? He's got some dead cow skin and a needle and thread and a book with some pictures of Cowboys in it (YMCA type)...

If he lost a couple of pound and grew a better moustache, he could be a dead ringer for my other in law, but innovator......?
What can I say, the forum would be worse off without you ;)