Beretta, Sporting "Collection 96" O/U 12g

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Cluain Cartha

Beretta, Sporting "Collection 96" O/U 12g

#1 Post by Cluain Cartha »

Hi to all, I am a brand new member & have been shooting just over 4 months with tuition and now at the Club I recently joined & I am seriously addicted to this fine sport, my only regret is, I had not started years a go!

I now have my SGC. But has as any one any advice, knowledge or info on the above subject. I have been offered this Shotgun and as I am so very new to this sport I would like to know is it a gun worth considering as my very 1st Shotgun?

It has a 29.5 barrel length, which are black as well as around the action & underside which has engraved "Collection 96" & the serial No starts with an "M". The gun is in extremely good condition & very well looked after by a well respected & established Shot.

Would it be suitable as a 1st Gun, it fit's very well & feel's very comfortable, & what sort of money would it be/fair price for it's age aslo?

I have tried to research this Shotgun & can find nothing of any substance on it, even on the Beretta web site & am seriously thinking of may be calling them direct if I still have no luck.

Many thanks, from one seriously happy "Beginer Gun" :D
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Beretta, Sporting "Collection 96" O/U 12g

#2 Post by dromia »

Welcome to Full-Bore UK Cluain. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hi Cluain, welcome to the forum. I do not know this specific model but you will not go far wrong with any Beretta. Is it fixed or multi-choke? Id the gun locks up ok, fits you and shoots nicely that is a good start. Robin128 knows Beretta's hopefully he can tell you some more about it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Welcome Cluain to the forum.

Robin128 might be able to help with the Beretta question.

Do join in the debates we have here.
:D
Rifleman798

#5 Post by Rifleman798 »

Hello Cluain,

Welcome to the forum. Beretta is a legend in its own right and as Ovenpaa said, You cant go wrong with a Beretta. My theory is if YOU like it and fits well then have it. Guns are down to individual preference. Other people can only advise on what they find good from experience. If still uncertain there are lots of reviews online to help you on your way. You ulitmatley have the final say as its your Gun. Best of luck with your choice.

James
Cluain Cartha

#6 Post by Cluain Cartha »

Many thanks to you all for such a quick reply & also the welcome.

Ovenpaa, yes, it is Multi-choke & I did contact "Beretta London" & spoke to a guy in the Gun room, & to say "Full of knowledge" is an understatement. He was so helpful for a Monday morning it was unreal (:D) he explained the Gun's history in full and it is a "Special edition" & originally left the factory with a "Multi coloured" stock! As there was no real demand for the Gun because of the stock, they were re-called & fitted with a wood stock instead, also it is apparently/virtually the same as a "686".

I also brought it to a local Gun shop, just for an un-biased opinion & he asked me "if you do sell it, to come back please" so long as it's in as good as the same condition!

So there we have it, I've bought it & now it's my new baby, & I hope it serves me as well as I'll look after it (Ha,ha)

Many, Many thanks to you all again for the advice/welcome! From a very happy "Beginner Gun" :D
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ah! now I know the model you mean, I saw one of the multicoloured stocked 686's in the late 90's and was very taken with it but it was far too expensive at the time.

Congratulations on the new shotgun, you must post some pictures, it is ages since I saw one.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#8 Post by Mike357 »

Hi Cluain, welcome.

I have a funny feeling that a picture of one exists on FBUK as I believe someone was trying to sell one on behalf of someone else. The original stock is truly awful and I'm glad to hear they were recalled :lol:
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Robin128

#9 Post by Robin128 »

Cluain

Welcome to the forum...hope you take part in the debates.

Beretta make the most popular shotguns in the world, along with Browning and Miroku.

I have only started shooting clays seriously in the last few years.

I have a White Onyx, O/U 12G 30" barrels. Also a 28" Xtrema2 12G in S1 (big mag).

Provided your gun is in good working order and is priced properly then from what you say, the key question is does it fit you??? I'm assuming your coach has seen this gun and checked its fit. I think 30" barrels are generally accepted as the optimum length for clays. I shoot English Sporting. You know there are trapp guns also, designed for that particular sport.

See also my notes under our Library Section...Safe Shooting...well worth a read!

Have you tried it out? How does it handle?

Lawnt y maen hir!
Cluain Cartha

#10 Post by Cluain Cartha »

Hi to all again.

Robin128, I tried it out last Saturday & loved it, I felt comfortable, the weight (I will get used to as Im only shooting 3 months may go on the dumbells ha,ha,) feel & fit, felt great & I have been using two different coaches at my club & both agreed everything was fine, to the best of their opinion. It has 29.5" barrels Rob, with a lovely wood stock, & will be in use at my club tomorrow, I can't wait!

I will defo look at the Library section also Rob, I work in Health & Safety (I don't live & die for it Ha, Ha) but safety is a defo priority joking apart!

Thanks again & hope to progress to Quarry some day!