HUNTS...not sure I've spelled that correctly...

All things Hunting, Fishing, Wildlife and Conservation related.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
"The Dromia Rule"

Deer Stalking… reliable word of mouth recommendation from someone you know has undertaken such stalking being offered by a specific syndicate is best. Like other walks of life, stalking has its scammers. E.G., make sure there is deer, of the species sought, on the land being made available; that appropriate insurance is in place; that there is recourse for recompense if it all goes wrong. In addition, obtain and understand terms and conditions; consider the implications of allowing a syndicate leader to be a FAC mentor; make sure ‘coaches’ are suitably qualified; consider the quality of deer management, the construction & execution of a shooting plan and safety; determine if the land is over-shot.

If in doubt, contact BASC or similar.

http://www.basc.org.uk/

Anyone considered to be a scammer will be banned without warning.
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: HUNTS...not sure I've spelled that correctly...

#51 Post by bradaz11 »

I think most people have an issue with the method not the concept. if they want to kill foxes, fine. but its how it is done. would you chase a deer for a miles with a pack of dogs, and then when you catch it, let them tear it apart?
I have no problem with them wanting to go for a ride in the country with their mates, they just seem to have tacked on some cruel purpose, probably because it used to be them chasing some unlucky poor person through the fields, but laws changed and it became foxes.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Mr_Logic

#52 Post by Mr_Logic »

One thing, the 'fox gets ripped to pieces' is propaganda, spread by the antis. It's like showing a picture of a wounded shot fox, and saying the nasty men always shoot holes in them before actually delivering a kill shot.

It happens, but it is not intentional and nor is it the norm.
bradaz11

#53 Post by bradaz11 »

ok, i'll hold my hands up to that. So how does a hunt usually end? that is if they even find a fox to chase
Mr_Logic

#54 Post by Mr_Logic »

Fox's neck is broken by one of the hounds - that's the way canines generally kill their prey as it's quicker than any other methods, and dogs are pretty lazy!
bradaz11

#55 Post by bradaz11 »

so they don't fight over it, or try to eat it at all?

my dog would quite happily rip apart her toys when she 'caught' them, and after she flailed them around (presumably to break it's neck) so why would these dogs behave differently with a fox?
Mr_Logic

#56 Post by Mr_Logic »

As a rule the hunt aren't that far behind. Tbh once it's dead I personally don't care too much.
bradaz11

#57 Post by bradaz11 »

ok, so once the dogs actually catch it, it dies pretty quickly. but, how far is it chased before it is killed? I'm assuming a reasonable amount of time passes?

as I say, for those that shoot foxes,deer, rabbits or even big game in africa don't chase the animal until it is too tired to continue, then shoot it humanely do they? for the most part, the first thing the animal knows that someone is looking at it through a scope is when the bullet hits...
Dougan

#58 Post by Dougan »

Chuck wrote:
After all guns are monstrously powerful things designed to kill people.
That's just anti gun rhetoric nonsesnse - guns are made to fire projectiles.

It's the person holding the gun that decides what to shoot / kill with it.

Let's get this right - I have NO issues with hunting per se, as long as it's for the pot. Breeding animals for the food chain is what we do - eating tofu is NOT what we do.

What I do have an issue with (and IF it is true) is breeding foxes just so they can be hunted, that's just weird IMO.

It's nowt to do with being anti hunt or anti anything. It's to do with breeding animals for selfish blood sport "killing for killings sake" purposes that WILL get the public agitated big time. Pity people cannot see that aspect of it. IF they ARE breeding foxes just to release and kill them and for NO OTHER REASON than that then it sure as hell will bring the anti nuts down on anything hunting - shooting - fishing - related.

If they are so hell bent on killing stuff they can always b#gg#r off to Syriah and shoot some terrorists. I'm always saying we should all support each other - but this was NOT sport, just a sick hobby. At any rate it IS an old story and hopefully is NOT happening today.
Thanks for your comments on this thread Chuck...it's good to know that I'm not the only one who finds these people a bit sick.

As for the validity of the story - I regret starting the tread with an old article...the one from the BBC, which I gave a link to, is only weeks old and proves that some hunts are still breeding foxs...

...until I saw the story a few days ago, this was new to me (I'd been working abroad for several years in 2004 when the hunting ban came into force)...having searched the internet, most of the stories are pre-ban, but there are still stories even from last year (in the Mail and Guardian) where hunts have been caught on camera feeding foxes to keep them in the hunt area...and the recent BBC story gives strong evidence that some hunts (despite the ban) are still breeding them...

...the point of the thread, which some don't seem to get, is about the hypocrisy of it all...the hunts have always tried to justify themselves by saying that there are too many foxes in the countryside; but clearly have been breeding and/or feeding them for decades just so that they can guarantee getting their kicks.
Dougan

#59 Post by Dougan »

Mr_Logic wrote:Fox's neck is broken by one of the hounds - that's the way canines generally kill their prey as it's quicker than any other methods, and dogs are pretty lazy!
So will you answer the question...do you think it is OK to hunt other animals (pheasants, deer, boar etc.) using dogs to both chase them down and kill them?
Countryman

#60 Post by Countryman »

It's ok to hunt members of LACS like this, yes!