Reloading Courses

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
dodgyrog
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Reloading Courses

#1 Post by dodgyrog »

Why don't the NRA spread their wings and offer reloading courses at a reasonable price AWAY from Bisley.
Secondly, how does one get to be an instructor? (Be a pal of Ken Garside, perhaps)
There are so many people querying reloading on this and other forums that the NRA might benefit from offering courses in the Midlands, the North and the devolved regions.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Ovenpaa

Re: Reloading Courses

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Reloading 101 - Good idea!

So many of us do all of our reloading on our own and other than forums like this seldom discuss it. It is very easy to fall into some bad habits without even realising it, and worse still tell people about them and push them as best practice.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dangermouse

#3 Post by Dangermouse »

I am not so sure that teaching Northerners how to re load is such a good thing, before you know it the Scott's will be crossing the wall and there will be trouble at the mill.

Seriously though, this is one of those areas that I am surprised we have managed to keep un regulated for so long, I am sure Chuck will strongly disagree with me.
So far we have managed to get away with a hap hazard approach and it is generally accepted that the onus is on the individual to satisfy themselves that what they are doing is safe.
I would be happier if knew the person next to me on the firing point had received some input into their re loading and that they were not about to have an incident that could have a serious effect on my life!
The down side of this would be that there would be cost involved, some would see it as big brother once more delving into our lawful activities and no doubt it would put any people off taking up this hobby within a hobby.

So in summary, yes there should be lots more courses, all over the place and people should be encouraged to attend, before something is forced on us.

Did not mean to hijack the thread or send it in another direction,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#4 Post by Mike357 »

I'd be in favour of that both from a safety and knowledge perspective.

A two tier course would be good. First level as an introduction and then advanced to cover the physics, ie bullet seating depths, using gauges etc.

As a newbie, when people talk about seating bullets 2 thou off the lands and jumps etc., it fills me with dreadbespecially as I really want to chase accurate loads.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
dodgyrog

#5 Post by dodgyrog »

I await a response from the dear Phyllis at the NRA!
Heather, can you give her a nudge when you get back.
Mind you, if she organised it it could turn out a complete clusterf***!!!
Gun Pimp

#6 Post by Gun Pimp »

NRA - Reloading??? They all shoot issued ammo!

Vince
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#7 Post by Mike357 »

Gun Pimp wrote:NRA - Reloading??? They all shoot issued ammo!

Vince
Good point Vince but I would say that as an organisation they have a duty to cover all aspects of target shooting, not just for the lucky few that shoot at Bisley.
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
dodgyrog

#8 Post by dodgyrog »

They put on reloading courses once or twice a year for the dodgy reloaders shooting F class!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

I did hear a vile rumour that one of our most esteemed and senior forum members is going to the deepest darkest wilds with a newly acquired F Class rifle. Maybe we can subscribe him to such a course ;)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bobbob
Full-Bore UK Supporter

#10 Post by bobbob »

Our club were going to try and organise a reloading training session but the chap they were talking to wanted silly money so it never happened.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.