Original WW1 service rifles....show and tell

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

huntervixen
Home club or Range: The Severn Side Range

Original WW1 service rifles....show and tell

#1 Post by huntervixen »

Morning all,

After seeing Adams stunning 1913 dated SMLE, now beautifully re-barrelled for another 100 years of use by David, it got me thinking.....just how many of us have original (as built) WW1 dated service rifles, still in shooting order?

I will kick things off, this is my pride and joy, all original ANZAC issued Enfield, she gauges .305 today, but still groups pretty well and like all SMLE's, an absolute delight to shoot.

She is a 1917 dated No1 mk3*, in many respects a very typical late WW1 rifle with the transitional dished forend and blanked butt id disc.

As far as I can tell, she has a full set of original components including her 1916 dated barrel, woodwork and late WW1 ribbed cocking piece, correct wide piling swivel and finished with a nice Cole Brothers LTD 1916 dated leather sling!

She bares evidence of many contemporary WW1 repairs, small sections of wood inletted into the forend (battlefield damage perhaps), but nothing post WW1.

What makes her a very interesting rifle to me is the fact she still has her NZ service rack number on receiver ring, after doing some research with NZ base collectors, this appears to be a quite unique survivor, as all rack numbers were removed prior to sale with the S-S sold out of service makes applied in there place.

This rifle seems to have dropped off the back of a lorry during or shortly after WW1, no evidence of post WW1 use anyway. She never went back to New Zealand and remained in the UK.

Enjoy the pics and over to you!
Attachments
1917 NZ Enfield.jpg
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
25Pdr

Re: Original WW1 service rifles....show and tell

#2 Post by 25Pdr »

My P14 303 Bought from a Farmer Friend. He mentioned that it had been rebarreled by Alec Martin Glasgow, other than that it seems to be original, still got volley sights. Ser No Wxxxxx assume it was made by Winchester.

Shoots very well, tried some lead reloads using a Lee 303/314 mold without much success, the Boolit performs very good when reloaded in 7.62/51 though.

Some markings on stock, any idea anyone?

ImageImageImageImage
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

25Pdr wrote:Some markings on stock, any idea anyone?
Aye - the standard WINCHESTER/PATTERN 14 cartouche

Skennerton has a good book on the P14/M1917 series..."The US Enfield"...worth tracking down a copy

My P14, a.k.a. the "Rifle, No.3" in British service is also a Winchester.
Shows the typical sign of sitting in a rack unloved, as the last inch of the bore is not that easy on the eye.
Not had a chance to do much range work with it as of yet, as the rifle has no rearsight (only partly there, need a couple of screws/springs to complete it - ideally need to find an "F" rearsight for it).
The plan is for it to get the last inch or so of the barrel back-bored, then there's a 1918 Pattern Telescope & bases sitting here looking for a Winchester to get closely acquainted with. Will make up a 1918 dated US M1907 sling to match...then have a nice No.3(T) to play with in the classic shoots

T'other olde stick is a 1915 dated Gew.98.
Shoots very well with PRVI factory, but shoots like a bored out 410 using 1953 Czech mil-surp ammo...(tempted to do some "Mexican reloads" with this stuff to see if I can get it to at least keep in the black at 200m)
MAY also develop a lead boolit load for it to use on the new 100m indoor range nearby, now it has finally opened!

I also have an M96 Swedish Mauser in storage, but it is another work in progress: smooth bored barrel, still in 6.5x55, but it has an unrestricted magazine; so still under S.1 rules. This will either have the magazine blocked to 2-rd (I have had a spare sent from Sweden) OR it will be getting a new barrel & put on F.A.C.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

SMLE
SMLE Patt14
P14s
G98
03 Springfield
M17
M95
Ross MK2
Ross MK3
Swedish M94
Swedish M96s

Just off the top of my head, I know there are more but will need to look.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
huntervixen

#5 Post by huntervixen »

they all sound very nice Saddler and Adam.......however....... ttiuwp ttiuwp ttiuwp ttiuwp ttiuwp

Dust em off and share!
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
huntervixen

#6 Post by huntervixen »

25Pdr wrote:My P14 303 Bought from a Farmer Friend. He mentioned that it had been rebarreled by Alec Martin Glasgow, other than that it seems to be original, still got volley sights. Ser No Wxxxxx assume it was made by Winchester.

Shoots very well, tried some lead reloads using a Lee 303/314 mold without much success, the Boolit performs very good when reloaded in 7.62/51 though.

Some markings on stock, any idea anyone?

ImageImageImageImage
Always lovely to see a P14 that's escaped the clutches of Weedon, thanks for sharing!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

I don't have any pictures to hand and I am not going to take them for this thread. Time does not permit.

Imagination is good too.

To help you along all mine are in fine condition, shoot well and some have interesting provenance.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#8 Post by saddler »

dromia wrote:I don't have any pictures to hand and I am not going to take them for this thread. Time does not permit.

Imagination is good too.

To help you along all mine are in fine condition, shoot well and some have interesting provenance.
To add to that, my G98 & Adams look to have been made in the same factory more than likely on the same day as the serial numbers last two digits are only a few numbers different...
lasbrisas
Home club or Range: Bisley

#9 Post by lasbrisas »

Watching this thread with interest as I have one slot left to fill and it's .303 and looking for a SMLE as we are in that 100 year anniversary period.
Tommygunn
Home club or Range: Rustington Home Guard Rifle Club

#10 Post by Tommygunn »

Have a few from around that period, though most have undergone some subsequent (service) alteration, like my M95 - still in long rifle form but now 8x56r for example. I also have a rather used and beaten SMLE - 1915 LSA manufactured with cut off & windage adjustable sight intact, it has a mismatched bolt, though still early pattern striker. Has the look of having been there and done it!
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly - Peter Cook