Hacking

Moderator: dromia

Polchraine

Hacking

#1 Post by Polchraine »

Is the board being subjected to hacking attempts again?

Twice in the past 24 hours I have returned to the site and a login has been requested!

Are there any stats available that show failed logins?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Hacking

#2 Post by Christel »

Easy answer is we do not know. Because we are on a hosted server we only have limited access to logs.

What we do know is that there are some phpbb exploits, the known ones we are patched against.

There are some externally hosted servers that use automated attacks so they can take over member accounts by guessing weak passwords.

This is evident if you go to log in and you are prompted with the CAPTCHA prompt. This means a script has tried to access the forum via your account 3 times with the wrong password.

Sadly there is not a lot we can do about it.

Use of robust passwords is of course key.

We are now beginning to attract spammers as well, oh joy, 3 last week tried to hit us with spam. When I spot it I delete the account and post (s) and ban IP.

:D
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I deal with the results of spammers and people that write malicious code on a daily basis and whilst I could argue it pays the mortgage life was a lot easier in the old days when we saw maybe 70 samples of malware a week, these days we have over 12 million malware signatures in place and there is probably more malicious code released on a daily basis than legitimate code.

Put simply, the bad guys are writing more than the good guys............. :(

The good news is we are not standing still and the Anti Virus scanner as we know it will soon be a thing of the past.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

#4 Post by Polchraine »

No requirement for a CAPTCHA input ... just a requirement to Login whereas I never logout on this PC or my phone but the PC has twice asked me to login.

Something odd.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
bobbob

#5 Post by bobbob »

The web site for a club Bnz and I belong to had a hacking problem last week. It too is a phpbb. Apparently when it was hosted in Belgium there were no problems. It moved to a UK server last year and last week some morons tried to get in and apart from the fact we couldn't access it, some members got virus threats from it.
What do the idiots get from screwing up other peoples web sites :?:
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Robin128

#6 Post by Robin128 »

If the world was full of fukcwits I wouldn't have had such a well paid job.

They are all volunteers...I enjoyed catching the buggers.

:)
Dangermouse

#7 Post by Dangermouse »

Since the new year I have found that I have to log on to the site after completing the CAPTCHA prompt around once every 2 weeks.
As far as I am aware I never log of the site, but to be honest, I really don't know if the light is off in the fridge when I shut the door!

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Robin128

#8 Post by Robin128 »

What you doing in the Fridge with the door closed DM...Well, everyone has to be somewhere! (Spike?)

:)