Glock British Army

24" and less, a place to discuss all things handgun related, section 7.3. Long barrelled revolvers, long barrelled pistols and section 5. Overseas contributions are more than welcome.

Moderator: dromia

froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Glock British Army

#1 Post by froggy »

Salut ,

Does anybody know which were the contenders that the Glock had to beat in the procurement contest to equip the British army for its new pistol ?

thanks
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
judders
Home club or Range: LPSC: Bisley & Longmoor. Wessex Rifles: Bulford & Warminster

Re: Glock British Army

#2 Post by judders »

Bid Rivals:
Britain selected the Glock 17 ahead of the P30 and P226 from German manufacturer Heckler & Koch GmbH and Sig Sauer, even after the latter model was used on an emergency basis in Afghanistan. The Austrian gun also beat out the M&P9 from Springfield, Massachusetts-based Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. (SWHC) and the PX4 Storm made by Brescia, Italy-based Berretta Holding.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-1 ... years.html
froggy
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#3 Post by froggy »

Splendid !! Many thanks, exactly what I wanted to know :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
User702
Home club or Range: BRPC

#4 Post by User702 »

Hmmmm. Not sure I agree with the text of that for the "emergency" use of the P226... Yes, they were bought as part of a UOR, but that was probably just to get round the procurement process so that troops in theatre had access to them quicker.
DL.

#5 Post by DL. »

User702 wrote:Hmmmm. Not sure I agree with the text of that for the "emergency" use of the P226... Yes, they were bought as part of a UOR, but that was probably just to get round the procurement process so that troops in theatre had access to them quicker.
What's the difference between "urgent" and "emergency" apart from the British Army's style of keeping calm and carrying on.
ordnance

#6 Post by ordnance »

Accuracy was gauged over a distance of 25 meters, though the gun’s range is determined by a decision to stick with 9mm, copper-jacketed and lead-filled bullets.
I wonder how they figure that out. I don't see what it being 9mm has to do with range. And what else would they fill the bullets with. kukkuk
Chuck

#7 Post by Chuck »

Hollow point?
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
ordnance

#8 Post by ordnance »

Hollow point?
I am not sure what you mean, perhaps you can elaborate.
Daryll
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#9 Post by Daryll »

Chuck wrote:Hollow point?
Not under the rules of the Geneva Convention they can't....its ok for criminals to be shot by Police with expanding ammo, but Soldiers can only be shot with FMJ.. :D
Charlie Muggins

#10 Post by Charlie Muggins »

Daryll wrote:
Chuck wrote:Hollow point?
Not under the rules of the Geneva Convention they can't....its ok for criminals to be shot by Police with expanding ammo, but Soldiers can only be shot with FMJ.. :D
British soldiers haven't shot at soldiers for years. I understand that expanding is legit for current ops but would be a PR disaster.