Spas 12

All things shotgun related.

Moderator: dromia

Chuck

Spas 12

#1 Post by Chuck »

My mate asked me to go to the range today to problem solve his Spas.

When set on semi auto, it occasionally fires the round when the bolt is released, I had the "pleasure" of it doing the same when I switched the safety to "fire" :shock: - nearly dropped my porridge when that happened.

Also, when loading the tube mag, occasionally it looks as though the loading gate is not depressing far enough and a shell only goes in about tywo thirds of the way. Sometimes it loads OK.

Set on "pump action" (you need arms like Popeye) loaded a round in the breech, released the bolt and got a dead trigger (floppy). Set safety to ON and there was a click - sounded like the hammer dropping on the pin, gun showed deccocked (decock lindicator is now over trigger guard)but no bang...

Seems the gun was tripped and serviced by an RFD prior to sale.

Anybody got one and know about thisa problem, or guess what it is.

Must say when it worked on SA you could double tap great time with it...and I hit 6 out of 8 clays with it first time too.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Robin128

Re: Spas 12

#2 Post by Robin128 »

Nope, I don't Chuck.

It does sound like a prof 'smith should have it... or heaven help the consequences when a ND occurs...and the insurance says void..."you knew about the fault, sir".

;)
25Pdr

#3 Post by 25Pdr »

Hi Chuck...

Spas 12 made by Franchi...I had a Franchi 48AL that fired a round when the bolt was dropped, turned out that the firing pin return spring was broken resulting in the firing pin essentially being free floating. Tests with empty primed shells showed a light strike every time the bolt was dropped which sometimes fired the round.

The Safety problem has been the subject of a recall and change of safety to a crossbolt type.

Details Here... and Here....

Obviously the Gun is buggered...Tell your mate I'll give him £20 and TWO Baikals for it. :lol:
Robin128

#4 Post by Robin128 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

25Pdr wrote:Obviously the Gun is buggered...Tell your mate I'll give him £20 and TWO Baikals for it. :lol:
TWO!!!!

Mate used to own a SPAS12, we were out shooting one day and had paused and retired to the BiL's car to regroup before shooting a flush/flurry. So picture three of us chatting away with the SPAS owner in the back when we suddenly hear a KERrrrr..............lunk from the back.

That is the sound of a SPAS being loaded with a speed loader whilst being pointed into the back of the drivers seat :( :(

I still shudder when I think about it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#6 Post by Chuck »

I noticed the firing pin flopped around a bit, sometimes sitting proud a bit. He was on to the RFD whilst we awere at the range, it is going back as we speak..

Thanks guys.

PS: 25, I've told him..I copied the post to him. I'm sure he'll give you "sex and travel" directions personally next time at Faslane. :lol:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Robin128

#7 Post by Robin128 »

Christ!
Chuck

#8 Post by Chuck »

No worries Rob, 25 knows who I mean - It's a Scottish thing...
Scotsgun

#9 Post by Scotsgun »

Bought one on an impulse from a guy in Essex. Essentially he'd had enough of the ribbing and continual faults so i bought it for a song. Bloody thing was useless, so i tarted it up in realtree camo and sold it on at quite a profit. I knew i was in when the prospective buyer turned up in a fully camo'd, ex army ladie and could hardly climb his great big lardy arse out of the cab.

25's recommendation sounds like a good'un